Help me understand raccoon problems and other nocturnal predator issues

mike001

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot posts here and I'm having a hard time understanding the problem with raccoons and other predators. My chickens free range during the day when someone is home, otherwise they have a secure run, so I am very fearful of daytime predators, mostly hawks, but so far so good. They mostly stay under cover or at least near cover. I live on 10 acres in the Catskill mountains and we have all kinds of animals. I've stared down a black bear at night not too long ago, 12 gauge in hand, but he chose to walk away, which was best for for both of us. We have wild boars here, I've found their tracks, coyotes are everywhere, raccoons, hawks, eagles, you name it.

At night, the chickens go into their coop, and I wouldn't blink if I saw 20 raccoons climbing all over it, nor would I feel the need to shoot them, because they could no more get into the coop than they could get into my house. Unless raccoons can chew through hardware cloth that is u-nailed to wood (I don't think *I* could break through that) or figure out how to use a key and a lock, all they can do is annoy my chickens. And securing the coop wasn't hard, hardware cloth is only expensive if you use it for your run (which I did).

So what I'm asking is...how are these raccoons getting in people's coops? Is this happening at night, or do they come during the day? Are they chewing through hardware cloth? Pulling it open? Is it nailed or bolted or just stapled? What are some of the weaknesses that have allowed them in people's coops. There have been a lot of threads on "raccoon got my chickens" but no specifics as to how.

Raccoons often prove to be smarter than one would think. They have been known to pull out staples that secure chicken wire, dig deep holes to gain access, figure out complicated latch systems, etc. They sometimes travel in packs and help each other do stuff.

Everyone's coop setup is different. I, like you, used the expensive hardware cloth in my run.
Some people just use chicken wire.

Other people have coop setups in barns and predators get in between the wood boards.

Most attacks are due to coops being left open.

All situations are different, but it would be nice to have people post here
about HOW the predators got into their coops/runs
so that the rest of us can learn or possibly bump up our security.

Also, remember the predators have ALL NIGHT LONG to gain access.

There have been occasions where I've noticed that something tried to dig underneath a pen,
but they could not get through the chicken wire skirt and gravel so they gave up.

In last week we've had our first loss of chickens due to raccoons. The first losses happened becuase felt secure enough in the integrity of our run to leave the coop door open and the coon digging up the run fence that was attached to wood under the ground. After that first loss we closed the door but the coon gained access by lifting up the metal roof that was screwed to wood walls. This last loss was last night. We killed the coon but we know she has at least 4 more babies. So, we are going to put more screws in the roof and setting traps. Hopefully that will take of it...

Here is a list of guidelines that I came accross when building my coop...what would be great is if people who have followed these and still had losses could post some feedback:

1. Built a secure coop (e.g. build it like you would build your house, framing, inner and outer walls,secure roof etc).
2. Use hardware cloth for all openings.
3. Either use u-nails, screws with washers or a narrow crown staple gun to secure the hardware cloth.
4. Use latches that cannot be opened by a 5 year old child (e.g. I use padlocks with keys hanging on chains next to them).
5. Use hardware cloth in your run.
6. Either bury the hardware cloth 1 foot deep or 2 feet out from the edge of the fence.

How does that sound?

My big weakness right now is that my run has a chicken wire roof, so in theory a coon could climb up the 6' fence and get in that way, but he'd have to do it during the day.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot posts here and I'm having a hard time understanding the problem with raccoons and other predators. My chickens free range during the day when someone is home, otherwise they have a secure run, so I am very fearful of daytime predators, mostly hawks, but so far so good. They mostly stay under cover or at least near cover. I live on 10 acres in the Catskill mountains and we have all kinds of animals. I've stared down a black bear at night not too long ago, 12 gauge in hand, but he chose to walk away, which was best for for both of us. We have wild boars here, I've found their tracks, coyotes are everywhere, raccoons, hawks, eagles, you name it.

At night, the chickens go into their coop, and I wouldn't blink if I saw 20 raccoons climbing all over it, nor would I feel the need to shoot them, because they could no more get into the coop than they could get into my house. Unless raccoons can chew through hardware cloth that is u-nailed to wood (I don't think *I* could break through that) or figure out how to use a key and a lock, all they can do is annoy my chickens. And securing the coop wasn't hard, hardware cloth is only expensive if you use it for your run (which I did).

So what I'm asking is...how are these raccoons getting in people's coops? Is this happening at night, or do they come during the day? Are they chewing through hardware cloth? Pulling it open? Is it nailed or bolted or just stapled? What are some of the weaknesses that have allowed them in people's coops. There have been a lot of threads on "raccoon got my chickens" but no specifics as to how.

You do exactly as I do.

Folks do not know their predators. Some actually believe that coons walk on all fours, not stand, reach, climb, work latches, squeeze through holes, etc. They do not realize how really strong they are, either. I know of a woman who lost most of her flock when a coon literally got a hold on her pop door and ripped it off, with the hinges attached.

You must use hardware cloth on openings, never chicken wire. Must be attached with either the heavy U staples you hammer in or screws backed with metal washers. EVERY opening, no matter how small or how high, must be covered like this.

In almost 7 years of having chickens in the Blue Ridge mtns in the woods on 5 acres, no predator losses. That's because I have done as you do, plus I have wonderful roosters who are always on alert. Coons can get into my pens, all except maybe one that is covered, but they can't get into the coops that are locked before dusk.

A friend just saw a coon out in broad daylight standing near a playpen of chicks she had out for a sunbath, so they sometimes do come out before dark, too, especially when they have kits to feed.

Last edited:
We have been going threw a drought (Indiana) and all the predators are now feeling the effects and coming up looking for food and water. I hadn't checked all my runs and pens well enough and the coons got onto my ducks and one of the chicken pens. Being much more careful now and have fixed all the coops and pens!

Well, some people can't justify having chickens if you have to spend $500 for a coop and run. If money is no object, you can build fort knox.

In my area, animals like coons and coyotes are hunted, and generally stay away from people. Coons will still occasionally live right under your nose. But since I've never had a problem with coons, I am not going to spend a fortune keeping them out. I have had ckickens before and lost them to dogs, and probably a cat, but never a coon as far as I know. I had one mistery animal that I think may have been a cat that got quite a few before I noticed they were missing.

Edit:
When I lost chickens: Once the chickens were killed by a pack of dogs. I was letting the chickens have the run of the place. Long story, but they were meaties that I decided were too much work to butcher and they were just running around. Lesson: Don't be an idiot.

Next, I had some meaties in a pen and the pen pulled away from the wall due to the barn shifting. Something found the gap and was taking them one by one by the time I noticed they got quite a few. Then I tried to set traps and plug the hole and they got a few more before I got the hole plugged right. I suspect a cat. Whatever it was took the birds out one at a time didn't hurt the rest. Lesson: predators can find amazingly small holes to get through. Count your chickens once in awhile. Also, don't be an idiot.

Last, In a different pen, I had a part of the wire that I forgot to staple. Something found the gap. I think this was the same animal, it happened right after the incedent above. Lesson: Don't be an idiot. Also, poison can make predators leave you alone.

Last edited:
Money is always an object for a retired Air Force Msgt., believe me. You can use recycled materials to cut costs, do it in stages, but you can do it on very limited budget. I built a very nice small coop that was truly predator proof we called The Firetower for $63, and that was only because the paint cost $20 and we had to buy the roll roofing, large enough to hold 7-8 large birds, using wood from one log home site dumpster (with permission of the foreman).

The pen doesn't have to keep out coons if the coop is very tight and secure and they are inside before dark. None of my pens would keep out a coon, but they don't have to because my coops are tight.

This was our cheap coop. Worked well for years. Nothing could get in there, period.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom