Help me win my bet. Looking back, did you know it was a roo?

Feb 15, 2022
Quick background story: I’m on my second mini flock. My first flock of 4 all turned out to be hens. (Nice work Hatchery!) Now I’m on my second flock of 4 - which I hatched myself, so the chance of getting a roo is much higher. I only want to add 2 more girls to my established flock, so I’m going to raise all 4 and then give 2 away, hen or roo. These 4 little EE’s are very feisty! Way more so than my last brood. My family and I are placing bets on them being hens/Roos.

Now, I know there is no way to really, truly tell until they’re crowing, but looking back, has anyone remembered personalities that showed their true Roo? Mainly asking to beat my husband on the bet :D

(PS - I WILL come back and post my experiences!)

Attachments

• IMG_8989.jpeg
    IMG_8989.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
My EEs were feisty, playful, and friendly from the beginning. They all turned out to be hens.

In my experience, all of my roo chicks were standoffish and freaked out when I went in the brooder or reached for them. They hated being held or touched even as day old chicks.

I’ve also seen an unofficial sexing tip for them. If the stripe on the side of their head/eye goes past the ear, it’s a pullet. Stops at the ear, it’s a roo. Now, it’s not an official way to determine gender, but all of my chicks that have had this chipmunk marking were pullets and their lines went past the ear. I’ve seen some people post online about this and their roos did have markings that stopped at the ear. Probably baloney, but might be fun to track.

Back
Top Bottom