Help me with the breed mix. It is 1/2 silkie

queeniechick

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Portland, ME

Could be part Cochin. But it looks to me like it is just a hatchery quality "purebred" Silkie. Where did you get it from?

Looks like a Silkie bred to a Silkie cross. the silkied feather trait is recessive so silkie to non-silkie mixes can not have them. More than half silkie, at any rate.

I agree with BantamLover21 and believe that it is most likely a Silkie but pet quality. I have a 4 toed, single comb pet quality Silkie with practically no feathers on her legs who looks similar.

She is beautiful. Mine do not have any crest at all, that is what made me think they are a mix. Unfortunately found out yesterday that one is a roo....and they both might be. Not sure what to do if they are both Roos.

She is beautiful. Mine do not have any crest at all, that is what made me think they are a mix. Unfortunately found out yesterday that one is a roo....and they both might be. Not sure what to do if they are both Roos.

Thank you queeniechick .. yeah, she may only be pet quality and have not enough toes, single comb etc, but I do love her to bits!

How old are the two in your pictures? When I first saw them, I wondered if they were roosters because of the comb and wattle size compared to Tina but as I have said, at 9 months of age while I still sticking with pullet I am not 100% positive, just waiting for that egg or crow.

From what I have been told and read on BYC, it is difficult to sex Silkies, especially those with a single comb and not good quality as they would not fit into a standard and could throw in some confusing attributes
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom