Help me with the breed mix. It is 1/2 silkie

Thank you queeniechick .. yeah, she may only be pet quality and have not enough toes, single comb etc, but I do love her to bits!

How old are the two in your pictures?  When I first saw them, I wondered if they were roosters because of the comb and wattle size compared to Tina but as I have said, at 9 months of age while I still sticking with pullet I am not 100% positive, just waiting for that egg or crow.

From what I have been told and read on BYC, it is difficult to sex Silkies, especially those with a single comb and not good quality as they would not fit into a standard and could throw in some confusing attributes :idunno  

Mine are only 13 weeks old and already larger than my buff Orpingtons. ( sorry new to posting replies)

Mine are only 13 weeks old and already larger than my buff Orpingtons. ( sorry new to posting replies)

No need to apologize, we all had to learn at some time
smile.png

Wow, at 13 weeks those are some impressive combs and wattles. You mentioned that you found out one was a rooster, did he start to crow?

Sorry to use you, but I was wondering as your experience may help me with determining if, in fact, Tina is a pullet. I have not been able to get much feedback from owners with single combed Silkies or get some comparison images etc .. sorry to say, but looking at your 13 weeks olds, my 9 month old is definitely looking good for being a pullet
wink.png

As we are not allowed to have roosters here, I have no experience with them. Will you be able to keep yours?

No need to apologize, we all had to learn at some time :)

Wow, at 13 weeks those are some impressive combs and wattles.  You mentioned that you found out one was a rooster, did he start to crow?   

Sorry to use you, but I was wondering as your experience may help me with determining if, in fact, Tina is a pullet.  I have not been able to get much feedback from owners with single combed Silkies or get some comparison images etc .. sorry to say, but looking at your 13 weeks olds, my 9 month old is definitely looking good for being a pullet ;)

As we are not allowed to have roosters here, I have no experience with them.  Will you be able to keep yours?

Yes, it crowed for about an hour straight. It is also trying to jump on any chicks back that gets near him. I am allowed to have a rooster here, but I already have a nice silkie roo. If I find the other white one is a roo too, that would be 3 Roos. I would find homes for both the white ones.

Yes, it crowed for about an hour straight. It is also trying to jump on any chicks back that gets near him. I am allowed to have a rooster here, but I already have a nice silkie roo. If I find the other white one is a roo too, that would be 3 Roos. I would find homes for both the white ones.

Yours looks like a pullet to me, but you should have eggs already . Are you feeding layer pellets?

I am guessing you meant me as I have a Silkie in my Avatar? Yep, that is her, well still not 100% she is a she, but 98% .. no eggs or crowing as yet but definitely not showing any signs of being a he ;) , she is 9 months old:
I have a lavender girl that looks like her. All my silkie Roos have long feathers that look like streamer coming out of the back of there crest. They are long and go down the back of their necks.

Yours looks like a pullet to me, but you should have eggs already . Are you feeding layer pellets?

Aaaw, it is sad when you have to part with them; I hope you are able to find nice homes. As I said, no rooster experience here but I guess that if they are not good quality and good for breeding, not much point having them around? Especially if you have a nice rooster already.

Thank you for your vote for Tina being a pullet :)

My girls are on a coarse grain fermented feed diet with oyster shell available if they want it; also lettuce, peas, corn, green beans, cabbage etc etc

We are in our winter here in Aus and out of 5 possible layers, I only have one laying. I believe once our daylight hours get a little longer and the weather warms up a little Tina will hopefully lay her long awaited first egg
fl.gif

I believe it all boils down to bad timing .. my 18 month old Bantam Langshan has not laid for 5 months, she went through a hard molt and then we hit winter. I have a 7 month old Cochin Frizzle, yet to lay her first egg. A 5 month old Bantam Cochin, also yet to lay her first egg. My only layer is my 18 month old Bantam Cochin who has only just starting laying after a 5 month 'vacation' being a broody and mother.

As mentioned, I think it is just bad timing, but I am all ears if there is a possibility that I am doing something wrong? Do they have to have layer pellets? I switched to the coarse grain FF as they were not overly keen on the layer pellets. Being bantams I am not too worried about the egg production side as they are really just a bonus to having wonderful pets but if I am doing them harm by not giving them the pellets, I would feel awful!

Yeah, thats a round little poofy pullet.

For the owner of the topic, look for stringy pin feathers on the back of the head.

Tee hee PoultryQueen101 .. I love that description "a round little poofy pullet"; hubby had a chuckle also. Poor Tina, I can see "round poofy pullet' sticking as her nickname :)

I already have a "feathered beach ball"
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom