Help Me..

For the colored ones you'd have to see if they have a straight color or dotty color for their breast feathers
Dotty= Female
Straight= Male

I can't see clearly in the picture but to lay eggs depending on how big the quail grows it takes about 6 weeks to 12 weeks for them to start laying.

And then for the white one you'd have to catch them crow or lay a egg.

Out of these three 2 are bald from.back and also getting bald from neck which was not observed by me since last 2 days that I can conclude that they are females.Yesterday I added 5 more quails 4 females with dotted chest and 1 male with tan red chest. The male from previous batch is chasing the females all round the cage so I had to put a separation board btw them. Male-Male are not fighting Dominant male is picking on all new females byt they're are'nt mating Females are really afraid of him and jumping all over the Cage. I gave them Crushed oyster and Egg shells. I'm giving them Layer feed and Water with vinegar and medicines because back 2-3 days they were really sick. Also I added 2 nesting box of Cardboard plus 14-16 hrs daily light from heat lamp. Is there something else I'm missing ?

Chicken Layer feed isn't going to have enough protein. You need something thats 28% protein or higher. The one I use is 30%.

Nothing is working for me.
1f615.png
Its been 2 weeks but there is not even a single egg in the Cage
1f615.png
1f611.png

Ours took over a month to start laying after we got them, and they were already regular layers. First they molted and then I guess they took some time to settle in. Now we are getting 6 eggs a day from 5 females hahaha!

What I meant to say is How to tell that the quail has reached its maturity that is it is mature enough to lay egg. A person sold me 5 quails saying that they're adult and will lay eggs but they are even smaller than Chicks I think he lied to me these quails are still younglings not adult.

They could be button/king quails he sold you.

Hi there.

Thanks for uploading your pictures.

The white bird will need to be "vent sexed" as that mutation doesn't allow for "feather sexing".

With regard to the other two brown birds, check their breast/chest feathers (can't see the breast area in your photos).
Females will have clustered black spots, but males won't.

Matured quail (between 6 and 8 weeks) will start laying or crowing.
Keep in mind that they need time to settle into their new accommodation.
Give them time to adjust - stressed quail will not lay eggs.

Furthermore, you'll need to give them feed with a minimum of 20% protein content with a calcium supplement (crushed oyster shells or cuttlebone).
If they weren't fed properly by the previous owner it will make an impact on production while their bodies adjust, but that is remedied with the correct feed.

Plucking can't be used as a sexing method.
Yes, males tend to ride females to the point where there are no feathers on their backs, but females are also known to pluck (aggressively at times).
As such, you should consider separating the plucker from the rest.

ABOT

By those photos I'd say they are only 4 weeks old at the most as they still have a lot of yellow fuzz around their eyes. My 5 week old girls have only just lost the fuzz and are fully feathered.

If the girls aren't sexually mature (they'd need to be at least 6 weeks) they could be attacked quite badly by a mature male or by the older females. Stressed birds won't lay and mature males (especially young ones with hormones raging) will mate with anything they can dominate no matter what sex the other bird is. Sometimes females just don't like a particular male and will not accept him. Keep a close eye on them and remove any that are being bullies. Groups should be integrated slowly to give them time to get used to each other. People usually divide the groups with mesh for a week or two before putting them together. Unless you have a very large aviary type situation you should only have one male per cage with 4-6 females, sometimes more if you have a particularly pugnacious male.

I agree - yellow fuzz around the eyes means they're not quite mature and hormones will be raging.

The best thing you can do for them right now is to provide them with the biggest area possible with many hiding spots/things to break their lines of sight like pine boughs or cardboard boxes etc. and monitor them.

Hopefully with enough cover and hiding places there won't be any damage by the time they're mature enough to sex.

Don't rush them ^^ they've only been alive for several weeks, hehe :D

Back
Top Bottom