help me

CloudCat

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
See I have been experiencing sum resent brackens to my coop. I use to have quite a few chickens and ducks but now I’m down to my last five chickens. We have had problems with raccoons in the past but this new predator isn’t showing normal raccoon behavior. For one it won’t go into our live trap which we have found quite successful in the past. Another strain thing is that it’s quick enough to elude the dogs and come back in the same night to go after the same chicken agene if the dogs chased then of the first time. This animal also shows some raccoon behavior. Fore example it never attacks two nights in a row and I have picked up body’s that have been partly eaten and we know it attacks around 10:00. Please help me find what has been eating my chickens. To narrow it down we live in Oregon and have seen many coyotes around.

I'm so sorry that some thing is getting your flock. When you say it's breaking in, do you know how/where? And what kind of coop are they in at night. Is it tearing through chicken wire or digging?

Hopefully we all can help you solve your problem.

So sorry to hear about your animals. I was wondering the same thing. Where are they housed at night? What kinda coop do you have them in? Are the heads on or off of the dead chicks when you find them?

The heads are normally left intact and as far as I know whatever it is its getting in though the coop door. I have been closing it every night but in the last attack I was just about to go out to close the coop when my dad came in and said that he herd something going on in the coop. when I went out to see what was going on I found my duck O’Malley was goon except for a few feathers. He was my favorite and I cried over losing him that night. :'(

I am so sad for your loss... and your Favorite! It just doesn't seem fair... Not much help with the predator problem, except close them in the coop earliier. Start giving them treats in there late in the afternoon and shut the door and they will get used to the new schedule and be safer once they are locked in... Wish I could be more help, and once again, so sorry.
hugs.gif

Edit to add, Where are my manners???
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
BOBCAT.... lock up the dogs and sit quietly and WAIT for it.. with a .22 rifle handy... if you KNOW what time it shows up, why is it still alive???
i used to sleep on top of my tack/feed shed waiting for the predators..... even in the RAIN and light snow...

We had some really bold and big racoons. They would break out of the live traps. Broke one completly. Would be smart enough to get the food out without setting the trap off. One night we set a ring of steaked down leg traps with a plate of racoon snacks in the middle. You could see the tracks going around most of the leg traps then it looks like it sat on one ate all the foo and left. We finally had luck when we surounded the trap with stuff and added sardines as bait. We have also chased them off just to have them come back the same night too. Good luck I hope you get them before the get anymore chickens.

My dad was considering going to one of his friends who hunts a lot and ask if we could use his trail camera to find whatever it is. I don’t know if it will work though.

My mom JUST walk in the door and told me that she spoke to our nabore who said that she saw a bobcat a few nights ago. Do you really think that that’s what been eating my flock. Never had to deal with anything past raccoons and I don’t know how to use a gun so if any one knows how to deter it or trap it please tell me.

Cloudcat- if it could be sure it is a bob cat they are very smart but can be called in. If the powder can get you a print and it is a bob cat and you are not in to calling predators get on craigs list and just put a post on there for a predator hunter and list your situation. As for leg traps they work great but the state I live in they banned them, I guess when somthing works get rid of it. lots of luck.

Back
Top Bottom