Help Me!!

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I had a less than 1 year old pullet pass away ago 4 days ago. She was on a nest, so I assumed it was a laying issue. This morning I found a 6-7 year old dead hen in the coop on the floor. She was of normal weight, and had no visible external parasites. I have 39 total chickens now and 13 ducks.

It has been wet, but they have a dry area of the run to go to as it is on a slope.

The only thing new I have done is put down Sweet PDZ last week.

I have the 2nd hens corpse still that I may submit to the ag office.

If it is avian influenza wouldnt the other chickens have symptoms?

Possible internal parasites?

I am in Maryland.

It'd be great if you could get a necropsy done to find out for sure!

Generally, if it was avian flu, you'd be seeing symptoms rather than finding them dead for no apparent reason.

Are they on a layer or all flock feed and getting oyster shell?

Does their poop look normal?

Any symptoms at all?

It'd be great if you could get a necropsy done to find out for sure!

Generally, if it was avian flu, you'd be seeing symptoms rather than finding them dead for no apparent reason.

Are they on a layer or all flock feed and getting oyster shell?

Does their poop look normal?

Any symptoms at all?
Thank you for the reply. I sat with them for 2+ hours today, turned over some portions of the run, drained the duck pond, and just watched them. A few had some feather lice, so I went ahead and sprayed them for that. Everyone else was acting normal. None were standing off by themselves, none looked lethargic, none were breathing weird. Normal poop. All felt normal weight.

They are all on layer feed and do have extra oyster shell.

I am really beginning to think it was just a coincidence.

Thank you for the reply. I sat with them for 2+ hours today, turned over some portions of the run, drained the duck pond, and just watched them. A few had some feather lice, so I went ahead and sprayed them for that. Everyone else was acting normal. None were standing off by themselves, none looked lethargic, none were breathing weird. Normal poop. All felt normal weight.

They are all on layer feed and do have extra oyster shell.

I am really beginning to think it was just a coincidence.
I hope so! So sorry for your losses though. It's hard to understand sometimes when there seems to be no reason.

Back
Top Bottom