HELP! MEAN hen!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky Crazy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    Below is Lucy :love
    [​IMG]

I have a hen that I bought in March, 2012. She’s a Black Sex Link, named Lucy. I got her with chicks from the same store. Me and my family always had a feeling she would be odd hen in the flock. She grew up with five hens, and a rooster. She was always the rooster’s favorite. I let my chickens free range. I would spend hours outside, but one March day in 2013, two weeks before their birthday I stayed inside to do my school. {I’m homeschooled :weee} When I went outside my rooster, and my Araucana hen where killed by a dog. Lucy was missing for quite a while after the attack, and presumed dead, but she came home eventually. Since then I have never let my chickens out of the coop again. And ever since Lucy’s attitude has gotten worse. After my Dominant hen died from being egg bound I decided I can barely handle it. I stay out of her way but she pecks me and chases me. I’ve received a facial scar, and painful hand scars. I know this sounds silly but I’m wondering if she’s traumatized from the dog attack? I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to make her be nice or at least respect me. Anything will be much appreciated, articles, links, tips, or books. Thanks so much! :hugs

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since she attacks and injures you, time for the skillet:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    I could never do that! :confused: Even though she's mean to me, I could never let anyone do that to her. When I own a pet I take full responsibly of it, and love it with all my heart. No matter what!

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Is she mean to the rest of your flock? I have one that acts up every now and then but not that bad and when I catch her trying to do something mean I spray the hose in front of her (on the ground, not on her). She quickly goes back to normal. I don't know what it is, they like the rain but one day when I was spraying out the coop for a deep cleaning I realized they don't like the hose. Another way is to put her in a "time out" for a while. You would want her in a dog crate or isolated coop and run for about a week and every time you go near her look in and talk to her. If she is calm you could try to pet her. Then after her time out is over put her back in the coop at night. Chickens like to be near each other even if they don't get along with each other, this is why it is a punishment to them.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Agree,separate the little bully,see if this brings about an attitude adjustment.

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I think she's trying to be boss of you and you need to show her your boss.i would grab her and pick her up or carry something like a wrapping paper tube and pop her with it if she attacks you. You don't need to do it hard, she should straighten up.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  8. Cribbs74

Cribbs74 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    I have a very low tolerance for aggressive animals. I have never had a hen attack me unless I was messing with her eggs or picking her up in the dark. Usually that only results in a peck or two.

Roosters on the other hand love to attack me. Here's what I do, first I stand my ground and if they don't back off then I get the top of my foot under it's breast and lift my leg to heave it off me. A couple of times of that and they don't bother with me anymore. Don't kick at it, use good common sense as chickens are easy to injure.

What may work best here is spend some quality time with her and build a relationship. Spend some one on one time. Feed her treats pet her. The dog attack may have made her feel you are a threat. Let her know you are not. If you have glasses wear them or safety glasses. No need getting an eye injury.

Hope you two can bond again!

9. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    Thank you foreverlearning. I'm not sure if she's mean to the flock, but sometimes when I walk away from the chicken coop, it seems to me she gets spooked by another hen. I have three other hens, besides Lucy, and they are nice, but shy. When I hold one of the hens, then put them back in the coop she pecks them behind the neck hard. Do you think she's a dominant hen? I don't think my family would understand why I would put her by herself. Even though I think that's great advice. Thanks though!
    Ten chicks, I don't think I'm going to do that even though I would like to. But thanks anyway!
    Suzierd, sometimes when I get upset I can't help but do that. I get a stick and move it to scare her. I will try that!
    Pwad, I would love to get another rooster! I miss Kingsley my rooster so bad! But my dad wants to start letting the girls out again, maybe that will give me a good excuse to another one. I will look at those links. Thanks a lot!
    Cribbs74, she never liked it when I collected the eggs. But ALL my hens have stop laying completely! Since the beginning of December. I do try to stand my ground that doesn't help. I will try to spend quality time with her.
    Thanks so much everyone! Yet if any one has more advice that would be helpful. I want to see if anyone knows how to train a hen to be nice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by