HELP - Meat birds trampling each other

If raising meat chickens is too stressful why not a dual purpose breed?
wink.png
smile.png

Quote:
IMHO, dual purpose breeds aren't worth the extra time and feed it takes to get them to the same carcus size. To me, the stress is the trade-off. I hatched and fed out some Buff Orpingtons this past summer. I butchered them at 20 weeks. They weren't near the size as an eight week old Cornish, and the BO took over twice as long and ate not quite twice as much feed. I'm not dissing those who do raise dual purpose breeds for meat, to each their own. For me, I don't think it's worth it.

I am trying to build up my flock of Buckeyes for meat purposes. Of the breeds that I raise, they have the most similiar carcus size and shape of the Cornish. I have butchered a few extra Buckeye roos that were 5 pounds at 16 weeks. I didn't keep track of the FCR, so I don't know how they did versus the Cornish. I would guess it was higher than the Cornish. They looked almost like Cornishes after they were dressed. Until I get enough Buckeyes to supply our meat needs, I will continue to raise the Cornishes and deal with their flaws.

Quote:
IMHO, dual purpose breeds aren't worth the extra time and feed it takes to get them to the same carcus size. To me, the stress is the trade-off. I hatched and fed out some Buff Orpingtons this past summer. I butchered them at 20 weeks. They weren't near the size as an eight week old Cornish, and the BO took over twice as long and ate not quite twice as much feed. I'm not dissing those who do raise dual purpose breeds for meat, to each their own. For me, I don't think it's worth it.

I am trying to build up my flock of Buckeyes for meat purposes. Of the breeds that I raise, they have the most similiar carcus size and shape of the Cornish. I have butchered a few extra Buckeye roos that were 5 pounds at 16 weeks. I didn't keep track of the FCR, so I don't know how they did versus the Cornish. I would guess it was higher than the Cornish. They looked almost like Cornishes after they were dressed. Until I get enough Buckeyes to supply our meat needs, I will continue to raise the Cornishes and deal with their flaws.

No offense intended for raisers of Cornish X.
smile.png
I just meant that if the meat birds are stressful and driving someone nuts, it might be worth it to try out a dual purpose breed next time to see how you like it. Its good to weigh out the options and see if waiting twice as long beats out the hassle and stress that often accompanies meat birds. It certainly is a personal preference.
smile.png

Quote:
In this situation the birds were NOT the source of stress. The stress was cause by lack of preparation and lack of proper facilities exacerbated by a family illness and subsequent death.

Life throws us curve balls, I hope the OP and others that read this thread can prepare for their meat birds in advance, have the appropriate equipment and facilities, and raise their birds without the unnecessary losses experienced by the OP.

To the OP: give the birds some space and provide adequate feeder space to prevent death by smothering and you should raise the remainder of your crop without incident. Watch them as the stress caused by the four weeks of crowding and poor environment may cause health issues as the birds grow.

Jim

Like Lazy J said space is important. They need space to get away form heat lamps, space at the water fountains and feeders. As they get bigger (as in heavier) this becomes very important.

They have very sharp toe nails that can cut open the other birds when they try to climb over each other to get at feeders and water fountains. These cuts can become infected if not treated.

These mistakes are good lessons if we don’t repeat them.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:​
In this situation the birds were NOT the source of stress. The stress was cause by lack of preparation and lack of proper facilities exacerbated by a family illness and subsequent death.

Life throws us curve balls, I hope the OP and others that read this thread can prepare for their meat birds in advance, have the appropriate equipment and facilities, and raise their birds without the unnecessary losses experienced by the OP.

To the OP: give the birds some space and provide adequate feeder space to prevent death by smothering and you should raise the remainder of your crop without incident. Watch them as the stress caused by the four weeks of crowding and poor environment may cause health issues as the birds grow.

Jim

I bought meaties with no prep and no knowledge of owning chickens. All my knowledge was gained from the TSC clerk's 10 min. instructions to me at the store. I gained my knowledge by just doing it. I only had one loss and it died after only 12 hrs. leaving the store. All mine grew very well. I did not have the appropriate equipment or facilities but we bought the heat lamp and brooder stuff the same day. I had no idea what I was doing. So preparing in advance is wisest and easiest but my experience with cornish X bought on a whim was WONDERFUL!!! That being said: I did buy only a total of 13 chickens and 6 were meaties. None of my meaties died. It was a great experience and even with no prep. meaties aren't that hard to own and raise; just different I guess.

OP: I think you will do fine. You have alot going on and I think getting done what you have in the midst of all that's going on is GREAT. Not all meaties are hard to raise, maybe this batch just is. Your next one may be easy to you. If you can do all this with the meaties now next time it will probably seem easy. If not try a dual purpose as mentioned, you may enjoy that more. I really feel for you, I think you are probably doing better than you think, just under a lot of pressure. Good luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom