Help!!Medicated Feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by teachao, Jun 9, 2009.

1. teachao

teachao In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Savannah Georgia
    What will happen if ducks get a hold of medicated chicken feed? Went to the feed store told them I wanted the starter chicken feed like I had before. I didnot pay attention until I got home and granddaughter was feeding the ducklings and chicks. The ducklings were born on Memorial Day. It will be tomorrow before I can get back to the store and tomorrow afternoon before I can home to feed them the chick sarter food they have been on. Anne

2. Haley_LinckHillPoultry

Haley_LinckHillPoultry Songster

May 10, 2009
    Morris, PA
    They'll be fine, just don't let them overgorge. I have medicated chick feed, and that's what the ducklings get until I get nonmedicated. They're fine.

3. teachao

teachao In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Savannah Georgia
    thank you thank you!!!! i was sitting here praying they would not die. I have been watching their every move.

4. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Medicated with what???

Most medicated feed is medicated with amprolium, which will not hurt a duck. Years ago, feed was medicated with some kind of stuff that had arsenic in it, which WAS harmful to a duck. If it is medicated with an antibiotic, then I do not know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  5. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    i get the purina medicated starter and have raised ducks on it fine

6. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 In the Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    I hate to be skeptical but I sure would hope more people would confirm this. I've heard that feeding medicated feed to ducks are a big no-no.

7. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    I was skeptical also but my feed store got in contact with their purina rep and they said it would not hurt the ducks. I am on my 2nd set of ducklings on it and their doing great.

8. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: