Help! Mites, lice or something else?

AliciaC81

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
Help! My young roo is loosing feathers around his vent. Someone told me it looked like he was molting but I think he's too young and last night I noticed he's lost a lot of feathers from his vent area migrating to under his wings. He is acting normal...still crowing, eating and mating. O am still worried though, it looks awful!
20201008_192858.jpg
20201008_192903.jpg
20201008_192928.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like he is being feather picked by others. You should be able to see evidence of bugs crawling on him or the eggs or droppings of mites or lice. Here is some info on identification:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Look at your number of chickens and make sure they are not overcrowded. What are you feeding? Too low of protein in your feed could make them want to eat feathers. Are they getting outside to free range?

looks like Blackhead Diseases but can't tell for sure .
(protozoa ) Do they Have anything that looks like cancer sores?
young roo is loosing feathers around his vent
He is acting normal...still crowing, eating and mating.

Blackhead is mainly a disease of Turkeys. Yellow Mustard Colored poop along with lethargy, ruffled feathers, etc. are usually the symptoms seen in birds that have Blackhead.

The OP reports her young rooster (chicken) is acting fine and normal. The area affected is the vent and it looks like picking, scabs and broken feathers. Evaluating space/housing, number of birds and feed would be the first place I would start.
For care of the red vent I would apply some Nu Stock or Pine Tar.

If she passes (hope not ) check internal organs for black spots spots on Liver Thinking back if I remember correctly the protozoa make these spots look like pin heads
I had a Turkey that had it I got from someone else when I butchered it there were these black dots on internal organs I found why they call it blackhead

Back
Top Bottom