Help! Mites, lice or something else?

looks like Blackhead Diseases but can't tell for sure .
It's not blackhead.
(protozoa ) Do they Have anything that looks like cancer sores?
Did I spell that correct I meant Canker sores:oops:
It's not canker either.
If she passes (hope not ) check internal organs for black spots spots on Liver Thinking back if I remember correctly the protozoa make these spots look like pin heads
Blackhead does not cause black spots on the liver.
I had a Turkey that had it I got from someone else when I butchered it there were these black dots on internal organs I found why they call it blackhead
Black dots are not blackhead.
And yes it can infect chickens also .
True, but the rooster shown in post #1 does not have blackhead. :D

It looks like he is being feather picked by others. You should be able to see evidence of bugs crawling on him or the eggs or droppings of mites or lice. Here is some info on identification:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Look at your number of chickens and make sure they are not overcrowded. What are you feeding? Too low of protein in your feed could make them want to eat feathers. Are they getting outside to free range?

Thank you so much for the response!! I had not noticed any feather picking until just a few minutes ago. I went out to catch him to try to get another look and saw one hen peck at his behind. So, I let the hens out of the run, which seems to be a mistake as he got pretty aggressive towards me and I had to let him out too. With that said, I guess it could be feather picking.

I have done quite a bit of research on mites and lice. I looked him over last night, inspected the coop and roost and I can't find any trace of pests.

I have 10 hens and 1 rooster. The coop is 4 x 6, the run is 6 x 14. I change the shavings and clean the coop weekly.

They are on a 16% layer pellet, oyster shell separately, a scoop of scratch and mealworms daily, some table scraps and about 4 hours of free range time per day.

Blackhead is mainly a disease of Turkeys. Yellow Mustard Colored poop along with lethargy, ruffled feathers, etc. are usually the symptoms seen in birds that have Blackhead.

The OP reports her young rooster (chicken) is acting fine and normal. The area affected is the vent and it looks like picking, scabs and broken feathers. Evaluating space/housing, number of birds and feed would be the first place I would start.
For care of the red vent I would apply some Nu Stock or Pine Tar.

Thank you so much for the response! I have 1 rooster and 10 hens. Their coop is 4 x 6, run is 6 x 14. They free range about 4 hours a day. They are on a 16% layer pellet, oyster shell separately, a scoop of mealworms and scratch daily and some table scraps.

I'll go out today and try to get Nu Stock to apply.

Back
Top Bottom