Help!! Mites?

yellowxo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
Hello again! I am hoping someone can help me out. I've been noticing these tiny tiny black bugs that crawled on my PHONE I have never seen such small (and hard to kill) bugs before. Smushing them with my hand or thumb and they'll still crawl! So I realized these things only showed up after I held my roo. We love cuddling he never leaves my side. I googled this morning and that's where I got the idea that they were mites. I checked his vent area and I think I saw a bunch :( some were moving. Everything else was just a black dot I couldn't tell if it was dirt or bugs.

i have a bird vet around me that specializes in chickens but one visit is $68 not including meds or whatever she would prescribe me!! I did more redeem and found that tractor supply has a bunch of sprays or powders that can work. Then I came on here and saw wood ash is best.

This is the first time this has happened and I'm freaking out because I feel like these things are everywhere and even if I kill them on my roo he would end up getting them again because I let him go and sit all over my garage and our backyard.

Any advice would be much appreciated :(

Permethrin spray or dust will kill them, and you need to treat all your birds and their environment. Clean out the bedding in the coop, spray the floor and walls, and rebed with fresh. You will need to spray the garage too. UGH! You could spray the garage with something longer lasting because it's not his coop, but spraying the yard will be overkill, because you will kill every beneficial bug out there too. Mites and lice happen unless birds are in total indoor confinement, so you will be dealing with them occasionally on your chickens. I check my birds at night with a flashlight every week or so, and treat as needed. Mary

I will use Ivermectin, totally off label, on my birds sometimes, as it also kills many intestinal parasites, and is easier to use. Wear a N95 dust mask when dusting or spraying! Mary

Thanks! I have already cleaned and bleached and sprayed my garage with poultry protector. I've been spraying my roo down also. I am going to try the Ivermectin next!

I will use Ivermectin, totally off label, on my birds sometimes, as it also kills many intestinal parasites, and is easier to use. Wear a N95 dust mask when dusting or spraying! Mary
@Folly's place What formula, dosage, delivery, and egg/meat withdrawal do you use when applying Ivermectin?

It is on the unapproved list, so there's no official withholding times. It's the only such drug I would use, but it's so effective, and approved for humans and other food species, and dusting a group of birds is so difficult; those are my excuses. I use the injectable 1%, at the labeled dose for sheep. One ml. per eighty pounds body weight, topically. My horses and cattle get Ivermectin labeled for them, the dogs get their Heartgard+, and I get accidently dosed topically when worming those horses. Must be good, right? Permethrin dust or spray works fine for the chickens, but I find it difficult to apply to 35 plus birds. Mary

It is on the unapproved list, so there's no official withholding times. It's the only such drug I would use, but it's so effective, and approved for humans and other food species, and dusting a group of birds is so difficult; those are my excuses. I use the injectable 1%, at the labeled dose for sheep. One ml. per eighty pounds body weight, topically. My horses and cattle get Ivermectin labeled for them, the dogs get their Heartgard+, and I get accidently dosed topically when worming those horses. Must be good, right? Permethrin dust or spray works fine for the chickens, but I find it difficult to apply to 35 plus birds. Mary
I understand it's off label.....but think when suggesting it more info should be given.
Do you follow an official withdrawal for your cattle....meat or milk?

I, personally, do not withold eggs after using ivermectin. My reason for this is that ivermectin is used for humans for parasites. If I give any of those eggs away or use them in any way that someone outside my family would eat them, I let the person know and they can decide for themselves. I give a dozen or so to my coworker every week and he's okay with it. How much of it would you possibly get if you eat an egg a day and the hen is dosed only 8 drops or less? It goes so many cc's per pound, so the human dose is much greater. Add to that the fact that I wear gloves when administering but always manage to get at least a smear of it on my skin before I'm done. Do what seems best to you. If you withdraw, I would think 2 weeks after the last dose would be fine.

I throw the gees away for a week, because it makes me feel better. I would definitely follow withdrawal times for the cattle. Horses going to slaughter (NEVER MINE!!!) may have had many interesting drugs in their lifetimes, and nobody cares. Mary

Back
Top Bottom