help! mites!

lilmagill

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
davidson, north carolina
oh my. mites. help please. so many questions*...i've just noticed one of my girls balding and acting strangely, so it must be mites. i am going to submerge her in warm salt water as soon as it warms up outside, bc she also has a poopy bottom. salt will kill baddies, (got rid of flystrike that way.) *i haven't seen where anyone has just used salt and wondering why? *my coop is an old large shed with deep litter and stacks of straw bales. can i just treat/spray/powder my entire coop area w/o removing everything? is all my straw ruined? raking out and removing straw and bedding would take FOREVER. please, if anyone has had success doing this please speak up! *i have 5% sevin, can i just dust EVERYTHING with that? i have DE that i put on the coop bedding last night. *has anyone had success using the 2c. water/1 c. cooking oil/1 T. dishwashing liquid to spray on the hens and in the coop? *i'm looking for permethrin on amazon. what kind do i buy? there seem to be different %'s. this is just so daunting. and i am so worried. (apologies for the duplicate post, not sure where to post to get the quickest answer.) thank you so much for your help.

You may want to do a search on here specifically for DE and mites.
Read at least 20 different stories...and you will see that 99% of those stories report that DE did not work.

Read the link in my signature about mites.

You may want to do a search on here specifically for DE and mites.
Read at least 20 different stories...and you will see that 99% of those stories report that DE did not work.

Read the link in my signature about mites.
i did, and read several posts, even posted on one and didn't get a response. and i still had questions. DE can't hurt, and that's what i had. can i use this in the coop?
IMG_5372.JPG

thank you for your help.

thank you. i just ordered some. now i need to know what i can do in the meantime. can i spray this in the coop?View attachment 1018503
thank you :)
Sevin concentrate and powder are no longer labeled for use in poultry, so technically you aren't supposed to use it, but more importantly, mites in some parts of the country are *resistant* to Sevin (carbaryl). If I were in your shoes I would go to Tractor Supply and buy a bottle of Gordon's 10% permethrin spray. If you don't have a Tractor Suppy just buy any permethrin spray that's labeled for use in poultry.

IMG_5380.PNG

I clipped off the affected feathers and soaked her in salt water with a squirt of dish liquid for about 20 minutes. Now I am going to spray the coop with concentrated sevin but I don't know how to dilute it. The directions say 1.5 ounces per gallon of water for vegetation delivering .26% carbaryl. and 3 ounces per gallon of water for nuisance pests around outdoor residential areas. I am assuming 3 ounces per gallon? Thank you. ps ... my local farm supply does not have permethrin. I have ordered it but cannot afford to wait for its delivery.

Back
Top Bottom