HELP!!! Mites?!?!?!?

dixiechick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
North Central Florida
My Elvis (see avatar) has itty bitty bugs, the size of sand, racing all over him. Maybe this is mites???? And may be the cause of him being so letharic and thin.

Can I treat with Sevin dust? If so, how long until the mites are dead???

Sevin works good. dust very good around his vent. and under his wings. since you have a rooster if he has any hens they need to be dusted too. redust in 10 days

You can also use a pyrethrin-based poultry dust like Prozap. You can find this at your local co-op, feed store or Tractor Supply. As Buck Creek said, though, remember to re-dust in a few days so you kill the critters that hatched from eggs.

Dusting diatomaceous earth in your coop and run also helps keep these bugs down, too. Good luck!

that is where we are with Elvis. DH spent the day dusting everything in sight...starting with Elvis...favorite napping and scratching spots, the whole flock, the runs, boxes, EVERYTHING. We're gearing up to do it again in 10 days.

Going to the vet tomorow morning to make sure there aren't any other underlying probs with Elvis.

I appreciate everyone's help and prayers for Elvis during this time...it's amazing how something so small can make such a HUGE medical impact!!

Sounds like you are going to solve this. It's so sad that things so small can be so vicious. Every crack, nook, cranny can shield them. Lice tend to be on birds most of the time- mites sneak out at night, sometimes by the millions. Lucky Elvis, that you got to this, fast!
wink.png

Do you have a sand box in the coop so they can treat themselves between the sessions you have planned?
This one contains play sand and food-grade diatomaceous earth. Every birds is in there, every day!

lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom