help mites

cooingdove

Crowing
Jul 30, 2020
finger lakes NY
my chickens are usually happy healthy birds but I just noticed something they have mites
so for some backstory we have had chickens for 12 years they usually live to the ripe old age of 6-9 are healthy and lay plenty of eggs and we usually have no problems these mites are very funny you can hardly see them they are so small and look like baby spiders and if you handle a chicken they will crawl all over you with out biting ( I think that our skin is too thick.) any way maybe they are just baby (hatching) spiders
so any way mites with no major problems what do y'all think I should do
any reply would be helpful
thanks!!

Here's a good article that may help you i.d. the critter
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poult...y mite infestation can,and death of a chicken.

If they are on the chickens during the day, then they may be lice. Either way, you will want to get rid of them.
Are you in the US? You can find Permethrin spray or dusting powder at stores like Tractor Supply. Treat the birds and housing in 7 days intervals.

1596550370499.png
1596550381410.png
1596550390726.png

We battled mites in our coop a couple weeks ago. Be sure to really get in all the crooks and crannies with the permethrin spray and repeat after week. Good luck!
How did you treat your birds? I have liquid permethrin. Trying to figure out if I should dunk or spray them. Also you treated a week later. Does that mean you cleaned out all their bedding twice? I want to do this right. It’s been awhile.

I too wanted nothing but the best way to treat mites. I am dusting like a madwoman with TE. A new clutch of chicks is due to hatch starting WEDS! I have gutted the coop TWICE I have sprayed the whole coop with the oil, garlic, water, and Liq. soap. Every crack, split, joint sills, roost, walls, I am at wit's end. The garlic is overwhelming even with the smell-good oils. I don't care about me. I leave, throw up, and get back at it. If it wasn't attached to the barn I swear I would torch it. Thay have had Popa Complete in their h2o since Sept. when they were born. I know ITS not for mites, but I have had 2 cases of worms too. It's been 10 days since I last saw a bad poop. Fingers crossed. Vinger water for all outside waters and Ropo for the coop water. What am I missing? We dust the birds in the evening. Top wing bottom wings butts, backs, legs, & necks. (no face or eyes or around their mouths) What else can I do? Everybody is so helpful with all your fancy coops and prissy chickens. My girls are just farm dirt chickens but I love them so very much. I feel so helpless. thanks for letting me vent.

I too wanted nothing but the best way to treat mites. I am dusting like a madwoman with TE. A new clutch of chicks is due to hatch starting WEDS! I have gutted the coop TWICE I have sprayed the whole coop with the oil, garlic, water, and Liq. soap. Every crack, split, joint sills, roost, walls, I am at wit's end. The garlic is overwhelming even with the smell-good oils. I don't care about me. I leave, throw up, and get back at it. If it wasn't attached to the barn I swear I would torch it. Thay have had Popa Complete in their h2o since Sept. when they were born. I know ITS not for mites, but I have had 2 cases of worms too. It's been 10 days since I last saw a bad poop. Fingers crossed. Vinger water for all outside waters and Ropo for the coop water. What am I missing? We dust the birds in the evening. Top wing bottom wings butts, backs, legs, & necks. (no face or eyes or around their mouths) What else can I do? Everybody is so helpful with all your fancy coops and prissy chickens. My girls are just farm dirt chickens but I love them so very much. I feel so helpless. thanks for letting me vent.
You need permethrin spray concentrate. It really is the only way. Trust me. I don't like chemicals but the mites can and will kill your birds.

I saw that, read the lable and didnt really under stand it. How do i use it? Can i spray the birds? will it dry fast? Im guessing gut the coop again, spray EVERYTHING, TOP TO BOTTOM, how long will it take to dry? Re-straw the coop? Or wait until winter? What about the babies due weds./thur.? What about the fresh eggs. Will they be ate able?

Gotta read the label. Yours may be different than mine. Mix the appropriate amount in a spray bottle or garden sprayer and spray the whole coop after cleaning it out. Give about 2 hours to dry. Birds are very tolerant of permethrin. Keep it away from cats, it will kill them. Read the label for appropriate mix for use on the birds. Spray under the wings and around the vent of the birds.

Gotta read the label. Yours may be different than mine. Mix the appropriate amount in a spray bottle or garden sprayer and spray the whole coop after cleaning it out. Give about 2 hours to dry. Birds are very tolerant of permethrin. Keep it away from cats, it will kill them. Read the label for appropriate mix for use on the birds. Spray under the wings and around the vent of the birds.
Oh, Thanks!!! just got in from TS. Just bought Permethrin 10. 1.564 oz. to 1 gal of h2o (I can round it to 1.5 oz/64 oz. h2o) I have a mom hen sitting on 10 eggs. The 21st day is WEDS. When she leaves the clutch in the AM, I'll cover her eggs with newspaper and a heavy towel, spray everything (except the eggs of course) set up a fan (to speed up drying) so she can go back. I'm going out now to gut the coop. Thanks for sharing your experience. We have had everything and never mites like this.

Back
Top Bottom