Help, Moisture in coop!!!

Jamity46

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2018
Here in Chicago area where it’s going to be -50 or colder w wind chill. Went to coop and frost on windows, I put two heat lamps in coop (10x10 shed) and it’s -3 in coop. I also think a couple of them have frost bite on combs. Hubby out of town and I’m worried they will be too cold. There are 6 chickens and 2 ducks, first winter for them and my first winter owning chickens/ducks! It’s too late to do anything tonight but suggestions to work on for 2m?

I hear you on the KOLDDDD.
Is it possible to stick the whole group into a dog carrier and bring into a warmer place??? Garage? Utility room. ??? Saturday it will be above freezing. I'm sure you watched the weather.
It is most important during the night, when temps really drop. During the day,,, it is not going to be great,,,, for next 48 Hrs. but less severe. They also will be able to eat during daylight hours, and move around.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

It's not going to be that cold here in Indiana but the wind chills will be around -35 to -45. Please do bring them in if you can. It's too late at night to do anything about it.

To keep moisture down I use a poop board and clean it daily. They currently have about 12 inches of wood chips on the floor. The coop isn't insulated but for these crazy cold temps we put plastic around the coop except for the ventilation. Yes, even with these temps I have cross-ventilation open.... however... we also have 3 heat lamps totaling 625 watts of red light. All secured and tethered so no accidents are possible. The temp in the coop right now at 1:29am is 28 degrees with an outside temp of 3 degrees and a feels like temp of -10. I've got one of those handy dandy thermometers that I can see the temps and humidity inside the coop while the base is inside the house. It is super dry in there. Keeping the poop cleaned up and adequate ventilation is key.

Do you have adequate ventilation? Check out this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/winter-coop-temperatures.47763/

All of us in this deep freeze will be so glad when this ridiculous polar mess is over with. Hang in there, it will get warmer.

I sure would bring them in though if you could.

Good luck!

Don't need to factor for wind chill, if your chickens have a draft free coop. Draft free not ventilation free. I'm northern Indiana and no heat in the coop. Before the cold I had 8 hens and today I still have 8 healthy hens.
@The Lazy L ...are you in Toledo?
never mind i see on another thread you are in N Indiana...add it to your profile?

8A79313E-6D8D-4120-A40F-71C51DE427F7.jpeg 51D7F4C1-AA2E-4CB5-B317-D5ECCFBFF7FD.jpeg 584FA11E-152C-4CAC-8F63-6F183D00876E.jpeg C97A870E-003E-44EC-B995-93C039ACD998.jpeg
Post pics of your coop....sounds like you need more ventilation.
Here are pics of the coop walls any suggestions would be great!!

Back
Top Bottom