Help! Molting hen walking around in a crouched position.

Katakornchicks

Songster
Oct 6, 2021
My hen is a roughly 1 1/2 year old australorp. She is in the middle of a seasonal hard molt. Today I noticed she is walking around strange; she's crouching with her body low to the ground and kinda stumble-crawling around. Her belly doesn't seem to be dragging the ground. And to be clear, this is NOT mating behavior submissive crouching, I know what that looks like and this looks completely different. It's almost as if shes lowered her body to slip underneath something like a fence, only there is nothing around to slip under. She will walk normally for a bit, then resume the crouch. I haven't checked to see if she's egg bound because shes covered in pin feathers right now due to her molt and I don't want to hurt her. I also know nothing on how to check for a bound egg. Any information or tips are greatly appreciated!

My hen is a roughly 1 1/2 year old australorp. She is in the middle of a seasonal hard molt. Today I noticed she is walking around strange; she's crouching with her body low to the ground and kinda stumble-crawling around. Her belly doesn't seem to be dragging the ground. And to be clear, this is NOT mating behavior submissive crouching, I know what that looks like and this looks completely different. It's almost as if shes lowered her body to slip underneath something like a fence, only there is nothing around to slip under. She will walk normally for a bit, then resume the crouch. I haven't checked to see if she's egg bound because shes covered in pin feathers right now due to her molt and I don't want to hurt her. I also know nothing on how to check for a bound egg. Any information or tips are greatly appreciated!
I have one in a hard molt doing the same thing. Im curious what folks will say. Good luck.

A picture of her would help out a lot. Are her feathers all ruffled or puffy? Droopy wings? How is her poop? Is she at the age for laying? If so, when did she lay an egg last?

Just reading this post because I noticed my molting girl do the same thing today! I don’t think it’s an egg bound issue for me but she was standing there and then head down just like you said, trying to slide under something. She eventually got up and went about her day. Wondering how your girl is doing?

I have one in a hard molt doing the same thing. Im curious what folks will say. Good luck.
My Goldie did the same thing. When she started walking "drunk" I was very worried. Did some homework. Molting takes a great tole on some. Poly-vi-sol with iron in the baby Vitamin section. It has a dropper. ($8 WalMart) Tricky adventure. Best done with a helper: 4-5 drops once a day for 5 days & my girl was springy again !

Attachments

• 20211228_125233.jpg
    20211228_125233.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 48
20211223_165650.jpg
Just reading this post because I noticed my molting girl do the same thing today! I don’t think it’s an egg bound issue for me but she was standing there and then head down just like you said, trying to slide under something. She eventually got up and went about her day. Wondering how your girl is doing?
My girl is still in a hard molt. Its been about 3 or 4 weeks. She is no longer walking funny and is fine. I did give her vitamins and extra protien seems to help. This is her today. Still has a ways to go. I feel so bad for her.

My girl is still in a hard molt. Its been about 3 or 4 weeks. She is no longer walking funny and is fine. I did give her vitamins and extra protien seems to help. This is her today. Still has a ways to go. I feel so bad for her.
She is so cute! Is it cold where you live? Here is my girl today!

Attachments

• 51BDBEE5-ED69-49AB-A753-F6946D010E5F.jpeg
    51BDBEE5-ED69-49AB-A753-F6946D010E5F.jpeg
    973.2 KB · Views: 50
A picture of her would help out a lot. Are her feathers all ruffled or puffy? Droopy wings? How is her poop? Is she at the age for laying? If so, when did she lay an egg last?
hello there
my hen is having a beak open especially on hot days.
Could it be a respiratory illness and how to treat it?
thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom