Help! Mother won't accept baby!

Thank you everyone for your help, I have decided that I will brood them indoors, and the fourth duckling died at night, somehow the brooding heater turned off, and it died of cold.
hit.gif
This year is so sad, Puffball rejected her children, and when we went to the Florida State Fair, a cow gave birth and rejected her baby, kicking it, and stepping on it.

On the bright side, we can participate in the hatch-a-long.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your help, I have decided that I will brood them indoors, and the fourth duckling died at night, somehow the brooding heater turned off, and it died of cold.:hit This year is so sad, Puffball rejected her children, and when we went to the Florida State Fair, a cow gave birth and rejected her baby, kicking it, and stepping on it.

On the bright side, we can participate in the hatch-a-long.

Edited by staff

Certainly is so very sad indeed. So... Have you lost 2, and still have the 2 from the beginning of the thread? Have you considered writing up something to help others who may find themselves in similar situation in the future? There is nothing like the voice of experience to teach others!

What about the first two ducklings? Are they still alive? What are you doing to provide them with the warmth they require while the brooder is broken?
I know that this is a blow for you, but I must say that that kind of home-made tragedy can be prevented by good research. Some broody hens turn out to kill ducklings they have incubated because they get confused by their sounds - they do not match to what the hens would instinctly expect and so they fail to bond with them.
I wish you good luck with your two foster children, raising imprinted ducklings quite a burden but also a lot of fun and enjoyment
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom