Help, moving chicks outside

Oh I don't think that's bad...unless it attracts other animals. The coop we are building now will have their food and water at all times :) I think it's to each his own.

Our ducks are the one that smell really bad and that's because 30 minutes after we clean the brooder, they get their water all over everything....ducks love their water! We clean it every single day, I change their water 3 x's a day and food 2 x's a day. The chicks aren't too bad....yet. But we do have 26 and they're only 5 days old
My ducks do the same thing. I have made a semi spill proof container but they are genius at knocking them over.

The hens that I have get locked up in their roost at night without their food and water. First thing in the morning, I let them out and they head right to the food and water and go about their business....it works for them :)

I was wondering about that. Cuz mine have access to food all day and night. But they don't really need it at night. Does anyone else do this??

[B[/B I have 4 adult gals that have food in their coop at all times. I don't put water in because I have read several articles that hens have lots of moisture and it's not good to have water inside the coop. My gals are in an enclosed run (due to neighbors dogs and hawks) and the only time we close coop door is when temps drop below freezing.

Hi, I just moved my chicks to the hen house a couple of days ago. They are straight run & mixed ages. (got a good deal at rural king) The youngest is about a week and the oldest are about 3-4 weeks.

My chicken house has seperate pens. The one I moved the babies to is about 6' x 8 feet. I hung 3 heat lights in one corner so everyone would fit under. (very well Secured). Gave them grown-up waterer and feeder with platforms for the smaller chicks. I also put a couple of low roosts in for them. They are loving it!

The 3 week old chicks have been outside since Wednesday! The heat lamos have provided them plenty of warmth, and they are happy. And just for those who are wondering, it has been freezing temps here still, and the chicks are fine! Yay!

In response to another post, I was cleaning the brooder daily, and it was stinking like crazy! With a 1 year old and a 3 year old and another flock of 6 hens, I just didn't have time to do it more than once a day.

Below are my happy babies.

And a few of my hens enjoying (ugh) this nasty weather we are having today

My chicks have been in their coop for three days and are ao happy. I let them run around in their chicken yard supervised today! Unfortunately I have no grass so I had to go dig up some transplants. But they had a blast digging for bugs and grass. Does anyone know an easy way to herd them back into the coop??? It is a chore!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom