Help Moving Coop

Wow, I feel stupid lol. I do have a question. If I pull with my truck, it has to go uphill a bit and the ground isn’t 100% level, will that be an issue?

Not if you make the front of the skids like a ski tip and you have enough clearance on the short board to clear any bumps. Also it depends on how close you tie it to your truck, real close will lift the front, far away will just drag. Also note that pipes only work on pool table flat ground or concrete.

Here is my poorly designed coop before I knew how, but the skids are right.
coop03.jpg

JT

Don't feel stupid, you learned something.
It shouldn't be a problem with uneven ground, as long as your not going over a big gully. You lay 2 x 4's on the ground for the pipe or PVC to roll on top of. When one piece comes out the back side you move that to the front and continue rolling. Try to space your pipe apart as evenly as possible.

Also note that pipes only work on pool table flat ground or concrete.

As long as the incline isn't real steep, it shouldn't be a problem with pipe/PVC, pulling with the truck will keep it from rolling back. Either way, make sure you have it secured so it won't tip backwards going up the incline. It's probably top heavy.

Most of my chicken area is really rough ground and the pipe thing never worked for me there. It is a very clever method with smooth soil though.

As long as the incline isn't real steep, it shouldn't be a problem with pipe/PVC, pulling with the truck will keep it from rolling back. Either way, make sure you have it secured so it won't tip backwards going up the incline. It's probably top heavy.

First lump or rock the pipes just slip and go sideways and stop rolling. With a truck you don't need anything else the pipes just makes the job harder.

JT

Last edited:
That's why you use 2 x's to roll the pipe on, so the pipe isn't in contact with the ground.

Unless the ground is perfectly level and the skids are perfectly straight that won't work either. I moved a 6,000 pound lathe from my garage to my machine shop using that method on my somewhat level driveway. I could only move 6" then I had to check each pipe and reposition the ones that didn't have firm contact between the 2x6 and the machine as they would lag behind or twist out of parallel.

JT

The method I had pictured was using three or four pieces of pipe to roll it on. Move the one in the back to the front as you go. It would be much easier to that if you had the boards on the long side versus the short side.

Three pieces of pipe won't work it takes a minimum of 4 pipes. You have to have one at 0%, one at 25%, one at 50% as soon as pipe 3 gets to 75% of the length of the skids you have to put pipe 4 at 0%. Any less than 4 and you tip over.

JT

Back
Top Bottom