HELP! Muscovy duck eggs due to hatch! Internal pip??

Kfinno

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
I have 2 Muscovy duck eggs I have been incubating now on day 33. I have a homemade styrofoam still air incubator I have been using and been able to keep temps pretty stable around 101.5. Humidity has been consistently in upper 20’s-to mid 30’s. I did a lot of research on incubating these and decided to go with the lower humidity. One of the eggs air cell looks exactly how it supposed to for hatching soon and the other one has always had a smaller air sack and also I believe an abnormally small egg for Muscovy. I have been worried about this smaller one (another reason for having lower humidity) for a while but it seemed to be a few days ahead of development than the larger egg.
It has now been a little over 24 hours since the little egg has internally pipped (I Think). I started seeing a shadow earlier in the morning yesterday in the air sac but couldn’t tell if it actually was through or not. Around 730 last night I checked again and actually heard a gain clicking sound. It is a bulge that looks to be the beak or head and progressively getting more rhythmic movement like forcefully bobbing. I do not hear peeping though just a faint clicking or tapping every so often. I don’t know what to do, I know that we are not supposed to intervene if at all possible And that is what I was hoping to do. But I can’t help but think since the egg is so small it may be stuck and not a lot of room to pip. It also looks like there is a stained browning circular shape on the outside of egg with a dark dot in middle as if he was trying to pip at this spot. This spot is BELOW the air sac though in middle of egg. I can’t be totally sure it wasn’t there before bc both the eggs have various marks on them from beginning. ANY advice from someone who has been through this or suggestions I would greatly appreciate. Just not sure if I need to do something or leave it another night.

I have 2 Muscovy duck eggs I have been incubating now on day 33. I have a homemade styrofoam still air incubator I have been using and been able to keep temps pretty stable around 101.5. Humidity has been consistently in upper 20’s-to mid 30’s. I did a lot of research on incubating these and decided to go with the lower humidity. One of the eggs air cell looks exactly how it supposed to for hatching soon and the other one has always had a smaller air sack and also I believe an abnormally small egg for Muscovy. I have been worried about this smaller one (another reason for having lower humidity) for a while but it seemed to be a few days ahead of development than the larger egg.
It has now been a little over 24 hours since the little egg has internally pipped (I Think). I started seeing a shadow earlier in the morning yesterday in the air sac but couldn’t tell if it actually was through or not. Around 730 last night I checked again and actually heard a gain clicking sound. It is a bulge that looks to be the beak or head and progressively getting more rhythmic movement like forcefully bobbing. I do not hear peeping though just a faint clicking or tapping every so often. I don’t know what to do, I know that we are not supposed to intervene if at all possible And that is what I was hoping to do. But I can’t help but think since the egg is so small it may be stuck and not a lot of room to pip. It also looks like there is a stained browning circular shape on the outside of egg with a dark dot in middle as if he was trying to pip at this spot. This spot is BELOW the air sac though in middle of egg. I can’t be totally sure it wasn’t there before bc both the eggs have various marks on them from beginning. ANY advice from someone who has been through this or suggestions I would greatly appreciate. Just not sure if I need to do something or leave it another night.
I’m going to try and add the pic of the “bruising” on egg..

Attachments

• C639A0A3-A8FD-427C-94AB-05D757AE9322.jpeg
    C639A0A3-A8FD-427C-94AB-05D757AE9322.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi, I have been checking on it all night and as of now it is still about the same..still moving in there, no peeping and it looks like it may have moved slightly. I can see more of the duck moving above the air sac line now almost like it is still trying to get all the way through and internal pip. I’m still just not sure. :/ I havnt assisted yet bc from what I have read ducks may take a long time in this “shadowing” stage. But how do I know if it won’t be able to internal pip and possibly be shrink wrapping?? Ahh this has me so stressed out. If I knew it had been actually internally Pipped I would def at least give safe hole by now but if I give safe hole and it is not pipped and can’t then do I cause more damage?? And if I do safe hole on top but it’s beak is indeed where the bruising is below the air sac will that even do much but dry the membrane? I’m so confused as of what to do!

Back
Top Bottom