Help Muscovy eggs

Brilliant thanks for advice. I saw most of the really cheap one had bad reviews. I am going to head off to a farm supply shop this morning and see what I can get. I have patched up the cracked egg with some paper stitches from my first aid kit. Its not the neatest repair but will hopefully do the job ..Good job I am not a doctor ha ha. I checked it again and think I saw movement inside! Nothing yet from any of the others.. I got up at 4am like an expectant father hoping for some visible signs of hatching but nothing..this whole process is teaching me patience!

Attachments

• 29B2EC5B-EBC4-4B1B-AA80-3B37FF8217AF.jpeg
    29B2EC5B-EBC4-4B1B-AA80-3B37FF8217AF.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for the reply I will attach a better photo of the cracked egg. I have removed the freshly laid egg as suggested. I have also candled all of the eggs tonight and numbered them. They all look pretty much the same and have veins so I think they are alive!!The most exciting thing was one of the eggs was peeping and another tapping! I was so delighted. Isn't nature AMAZING!!! (ha ha can you tell this is my first ever hatch!) The cracked egg looks a little different when candled but photos are not great as I was kneeling in the cupboard with it balanced on a head torch! I think I must of been a good few days out with the dates. Fingers crossed.All images are of cracked egg.
Thank you both for your help
did you see movement in the cracked egg? Is that a second crack above the air cell in the last photo?
I agree with WVduckchick, it looks like it could have been broken. I would cover the break with either candle wax or tape- and I also agree that an incubator on standby would be a really good idea. My incubator was a cheap one off amazon, (amazon 16 incubator, or something. It was only £49) I got it back when I didn't know better, it's small and only fits 5 duck eggs at a push, the temp was pretty out, the automatic rollers were terrible so I hand turned up until hatch time, but it did the job for mine very well. A better quality one is preferable, but if you cant find any for fast delivery/immediate collection, you may want to consider getting a cheaper one. Its better than nothing of you have to suddenly take eggs from the nest- Be sure to also grab a separate thermometer and calibrate it, incubators are pretty deceptive about the temp!

One last question..If I incubate the cracked egg and it survives will mum except the duckling?
as I've never had a broody, I cant give a very good reply to this- but I'm pretty sure it will depend. You could try to sneak it under her (at night, most people do it, I think) but there is always the chance that she could reject it. I've heard very good things about muscovy mamas, so we have good reason to hope for it!

as I've never had a broody, I cant give a very good reply to this- but I'm pretty sure it will depend. You could try to sneak it under her (at night, most people do it, I think) but there is always the chance that she could reject it. I've heard very good things about muscovy mamas, so we have good reason to hope for it!
Exactly! I’ve had ones that are easily accepting of new ones and some that aren’t, so it will just depend. (I currently have 5 duck hens with babies, two still on eggs. One momma disappeared from babies about 4 days old, and the others all avoided the babies for a while, but one mom finally took them in) but I have also heard that muscovies are typically wonderful mommas.
1A5120DE-4111-4F8D-A314-6135A3581BD8.jpeg

F0ADE49F-5191-476A-BEC5-9A3119357672.jpeg

Another consideration is your drake. Some are very jealous and don’t appreciate babies, but some are very good. So be sure to keep a good eye on him in the beginning.

Same type of incubator. Ducks take longer to hatch than chickens, and muscovies take longer than mallard derived ducks.
I recommend the Nurture Right 360 made by Harris Farms for a reasonably priced, effective incubator. I’d stay away from cheap knock-off models and styrofoam ones.
View attachment 3125302
Brilliant thanks, I have got one arriving tomorrow to have on standby. Update on the eggs..the cracked one that is now taped has movement inside and tapping!! One egg has pipped and several others have tapping and squeaking! Beyond excited.

Attachments

• ADA2B952-26B3-4DE9-AB94-83EE92EE9911.jpeg
    ADA2B952-26B3-4DE9-AB94-83EE92EE9911.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1
Brilliant thanks, I have got one arriving tomorrow to have on standby. Update on the eggs..the cracked one that is now taped has movement inside and tapping!! One egg has pipped and several others have tapping and squeaking! Beyond excited.
any update? They're good at testing patience! My babies took their time to hatch. Any progress with your eggs?

as I've never had a broody, I cant give a very good reply to this- but I'm pretty sure it will depend. You could try to sneak it under her (at night, most people do it, I think) but there is always the chance that she could reject it. I've heard very good things about muscovy mamas, so we have good reason to hope for it.
any update? They're good at testing patience! My babies took their time to hatch. Any progress with your eggs?
Hi,nothing to report! Mother duck is firmly on the eggs and not moving. I took a peek late last night and could hear peeping and noice like eggs being tapped but didn't get too close as mum was not happy with me being there. I have set up a pen around the duck house to keep the drake from bothering her. Honestly I am like a 5 year old waiting for Santa! I feel a bit useless and want to make sure everything is ok but I guess she knows what she is doing? It feels like it is taking forever.Maybe some have hatched under her? Her wings are very spread out and she is super puffed up and hisses if I go too close to the door! Will keep you posted x

Back
Top Bottom