**help**must Do The Hardest Thing!

Quote:
I agree. I was on another thread and someone suggested a vet and I kindly said that I thought it was a bad idea and I thought that if you owned chickens you should be able to cull them too. Wow talk about backlash from some! So I will say again that if you own chickens you best be able to cull or be prepared for some hefty vet bills. Oh and if my chickens pooped and layed gold I might be inclined to spend more than $200 on them! Heck I might even let em in the house!!!
lol.png

Wildlife I think you need to do what you think is best and if that is saving her then go ahead. You didn't post pics so we don't really have a concrete idea on how bad it is. I think if you have your heart set on saving her and you cull her because of our advice you will second guess your decision later and that's tough. The biggest concern I think is making sure the hen is not in pain and that she will have a decent life from here on out. I don't recommend saving a chicken and letting her suffer for life because we can't let her go. I wish you the best and know that whatever you decide we will support your decision.

Its a tough call on the hen. You know her best so if she doesnt start to get better i would put it down. As far as the rooster goes, If you don't put him down expect to put down other hens.

Quote:
I agree. I was on another thread and someone suggested a vet and I kindly said that I thought it was a bad idea and I thought that if you owned chickens you should be able to cull them too. Wow talk about backlash from some! So I will say again that if you own chickens you best be able to cull or be prepared for some hefty vet bills. Oh and if my chickens pooped and layed gold I might be inclined to spend more than $200 on them! Heck I might even let em in the house!!!
lol.png

Wildlife I think you need to do what you think is best and if that is saving her then go ahead. You didn't post pics so we don't really have a concrete idea on how bad it is. I think if you have your heart set on saving her and you cull her because of our advice you will second guess your decision later and that's tough. The biggest concern I think is making sure the hen is not in pain and that she will have a decent life from here on out. I don't recommend saving a chicken and letting her suffer for life because we can't let her go. I wish you the best and know that whatever you decide we will support your decision.

we take our chickens to an avian (also does exotics) vet all the time... It is pricey sometimes depending on the reason but.. a life is a life to me. If I would take my cat or dog to the vet I am going to do the responsible thing and take my chickens to the vet. There is no need to cull unless they are going to die anyways.... and I have found with good care a chicken shouldn't die over very many things.

When I took our chicken who was attacked by a raccoon to a farm vet/ regular vet I was only charged $30 for the visit and the treatment. Plus the price of the baytril that wasn't much.

The avian/exotics vet is only about $60 and then what ever treatment depending on the treatment it might be included in the $60... there are things that are expensive that we have done like spaying our hen that was internally laying... But it wasn't anymore then spaying a dog...

it might not be the fact that someone CAN'T cull a chicken it just may be the fact that... they don't want to, they want to give that animal every chance at life as they can and I do find that reasonable.

My chickens are my pets and they are definitely worth $150-200 or more...

I'd probably try to nurse her back to health, but I'm a big ol softie. That said, I tried nursing one of my leghorns back to health and when it became obvious that she had a chronic problem, wasn't getting better and was suffering I managed to do the deed myself. I did it with the broomstick (and I did it wrong the first time
hit.gif
). It's very hard to do, especially for someone that doesn't process chickens for food. But sometimes it has to be done.
sad.png

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think the roo should be separated - you'll feel even worse if he injures another hen.

Quote:
lol.png

we take our chickens to an avian (also does exotics) vet all the time... It is pricey sometimes depending on the reason but.. a life is a life to me. If I would take my cat or dog to the vet I am going to do the responsible thing and take my chickens to the vet. There is no need to cull unless they are going to die anyways.... and I have found with good care a chicken shouldn't die over very many things.

When I took our chicken who was attacked by a raccoon to a farm vet/ regular vet I was only charged $30 for the visit and the treatment. Plus the price of the baytril that wasn't much.

The avian/exotics vet is only about $60 and then what ever treatment depending on the treatment it might be included in the $60... there are things that are expensive that we have done like spaying our hen that was internally laying... But it wasn't anymore then spaying a dog...

it might not be the fact that someone CAN'T cull a chicken it just may be the fact that... they don't want to, they want to give that animal every chance at life as they can and I do find that reasonable.

My chickens are my pets and they are definitely worth $150-200 or more...

I don't have a problem with people taking their chickens to the vet if they can find one. If they have the money to spend on it then I say go for it. In the other thread this person was recommending that the person call a vet out to their house to euthanize their chicken and I just couldn't see any sense in it. My vet who doesn't do chickens charges $100 for a ranch call plus mileage and those amounts don't include any treatment, meds etc... so the bill could easily be $200 or more. All that so they could put the chicken down. I guess if that's what a person wants to do then so be it but I can't see letting an injured animal wait all that time for the vet to get there and get things done when you could easily just put them out of their misery. Would I do it with my dogs or other pets? No I would call the vet or load them up and take them. I guess I see chickens differently. I love mine and they are my pets but for centuries their soul purpose was for laying eggs and to be butchered to put on the table for dinner. We wouldn't put our cat or dog on the dinner table so they fall into two different categories in my eyes.

I had a mean goose, who literally ripped all the feathers and skin off the back of 2 of my chickens, and ripped the combs completely off another 2... I thought they were going to die for sure, but i just put them in an isolation coop, plenty of water, quiet, food, and left them for a day. then checked on them, and they were all looking much more alive... a month later, the goose is gone, and one of the 4 has regrown all her feathers... and the other 3 are surely on the mend. Chickens are amazingly strong, sturdy birds, and I bet, if you give her a chance, she'll be just fine.

Quote:
lol.png

Your opinion is of equal worth and value as anyone else's, but different people hold different things to be valuable. Some people hold life, companionship, and their bond with their pets above gold. To you it doesn't make sense, but to others it does. It's probably why you got so much backlash.

Personally I would get rid of the rooster because I guarantee he'll go after another one of the other hens sooner or later. THere are so many good roosters out there who need homes and are equally pretty to yours. It's senseless to hold on to a nasty one who tries to kill your flock instead of protecting it when another good rooster out there gets the stewpot. He also might pass on his nastiness to his chicks too, and the aggression perpetuates.

Goldie is your call since only you can see how badly she's injured. If you decide to euthanize her and keep the rooster, I'd at the very LEAST would want to buy chicken specktacles/blinders for your roo. They are a peice of plastic that sits on the chicken's beak, and keeps them from being able to peck other chickens. I've heard they work miracles.

Good luck and
hugs.gif

Quote:
lol.png

It is tough for some and I am kinda teaching myself that there are times to cull, and I believe you should be able to cull if you are breeding your own birds.
Breeders of many different animals have to cull their herds/flocks.

Not being mean, but that may be the hairy edge between pets and livestock?
and I have heard said, the difference between pets and livestock... pets have a name.

So, I thought about this some today for a minute driving down the road, I saw a hawk. I remembered a person posting on a board that they take their mean roos and damaged birds out to country fields and let them loose for the predators to have a free meal. I am not advocating this, do not even know if it is legal... but it may be easier on your heart, to leave her pecking around in a field if she takes a turn.

if she gets worse,

do not recommend the "running over her with the car" trick.
don't like the gun idea.
obviously, don't think you wanna do the deed yourself.- maybe donate her to a wildlife rescue? they will do the deed and use her to help others...

still, good luck wildilfe and strength my friend for whatever you decide. chin up. TD

Quote:
lol.png

It is tough for some and I am kinda teaching myself that there are times to cull, and I believe you should be able to cull if you are breeding your own birds.

and I have heard said, the difference between pets and livestock... pets have a name.

So, I thought about this some today for a minute driving down the road, I saw a hawk. I remembered a person posting on a board that they take their mean roos and damaged birds out to country fields and let them loose for the predators to have a free meal. I am not advocating this, do not even know if it is legal... but it may be easier on your heart, to leave her pecking around in a field if she takes a turn.

if she gets worse,

don't like the gun idea.
obviously, don't think you wanna do the deed yourself.- maybe donate her to a wildlife rescue? they will do the deed and use her to help others...

still, good luck wildilfe and strength my friend for whatever you decide. chin up. TD

Wow I don't know if I could take my chickens healthy or not and let them loose in the wild!! I could much easier cull them I think. I do however take any deceased chickens(sick, found dead, etc..) out in the prairie to dispose of them. I figure it's my way of continuing the circle of life!!

Quote:

if she gets worse,

don't like the gun idea.

Wow I don't know if I could take my chickens healthy or not and let them loose in the wild!! I could much easier cull them I think. I do however take any deceased chickens(sick, found dead, etc..) out in the prairie to dispose of them. I figure it's my way of continuing the circle of life!!

I like that idea, but I usually just compost now any that aren't worth putting on the table.
I know people get mad when they hear others don't look at their chickens as pets and do everything to save them. I get that. I am just not one of them. I feel bad when I have to euthanize a chick because its legs are messed up and I can't get them walking right. I hate having to kill a rooster who is beating up other birds because he is the only rooster I have in that breed and I am trying to get a hatchery going. I hate having to cull my rabbits when they get sick with snuffles and I can't get them well no matter how many injections of how many anitbiotics I tried. I don't like culling, but when you have a lot of animals and you are in the business of breeding, you can't afford not to. I look at this as the practical way of doing business. It is like pulling that lovely tomato plant that came into my garden as volunteer in the middle of my beans. It has to go.
We are all entitled to our own way of looking at this. The OP want advice, we all have given him some. He can do with it what he will.

Back
Top Bottom