HELP!!! My 1 month old chick cannot walk

sugarbabydoll28

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Hello,

I have a 1 month old bantam frizzle that cannot walk, she flaps her wings to get around and her legs are literally in front of her. She drinks and feeds on her own and when I feed her cooked eggs, I put them on the around and she looks for them and eats it without a problem, she loves eggs.
jumpy.gif

I have tried Nutri Drench and ROoster booster, since someone told me it sounded like she had a vitamin deficiency... nothing changed. I have her on Tretracyclin antibiotics on her water- she's on her third day today, a person at Tractor Supply told me she needed it because I was not feeding her medicated chick feed - and no changes.
idunno.gif

I have read and seen videos about spraddle legs on chicks, so I put a band aid as instructed on her legs last night - I have yet to see any changes. I honestly don't know what is going on or what else to do in order to help her out. When I got her 1 month ago, she was fine, walking and running and last week, she started laying on top of her legs and moving around with her wings.
D.gif
She's alert, when her siblings are not around, she peeps for them and then she's calm.
barnie.gif

I want to give her a chance to life and if ends up being a special needs chicken, my husband even toyed with the idea of building her own chick walker
wee.gif

Any ideas as to what's going on?

I have and even looked to make sure her tendons have not slipped. When I check on her, she just looks like she is sitting and her legs are in front of her, I reposition her to sit on her hocks, she feels better, I can tell, but that position does not last long. I have even found her completely flat and her head on the ground and I am afraid she will suffocate with the bedding, so I fix her back up.

Her one foot, because she has not been using them, was tapes up spread open, like a regular chick foot looks like and that managed to come off several times.
I am thinking about making her a sling, that way she is off her belly and she can air her undercarriage, but I don't know how to make one. I believe her legs need to be worked, the muscles (if I wait much longer) will then be atrophied and will not work at all ever.
hit.gif

Thank you again for your message. Yes I have, I have even looked on youtube to see if someone had the same situation and to no avail. I belong to a group on facebook with chicken owners to see again, if anyone had the same situation and they told me to consult a vet doc, but unfortunately, where I live, there is not farm animals/chicken docs. It is just weird, this just started last week.

I have and even looked to make sure her tendons have not slipped. When I check on her, she just looks like she is sitting and her legs are in front of her, I reposition her to sit on her hocks, she feels better, I can tell, but that position does not last long. I have even found her completely flat and her head on the ground and I am afraid she will suffocate with the bedding, so I fix her back up.

Her one foot, because she has not been using them, was tapes up spread open, like a regular chick foot looks like and that managed to come off several times.
I am thinking about making her a sling, that way she is off her belly and she can air her undercarriage, but I don't know how to make one. I believe her legs need to be worked, the muscles (if I wait much longer) will then be atrophied and will not work at all ever.
hit.gif
I just made a sling for my chick who has the same problem. You can facebook me at Sherryrzeznikcote and I can send you the picture. I made it in an old aquarium with a towel rag and clips.

You may also write to Athol Mass chicken nurse on facebook. She has helped with several things with my chickens and chicks

Back
Top Bottom