Help! My 1st time hatching & chicks are still REALLY wet after almost 12 hours-almost soggy

teamtmo

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 25, 2015
Simi Valley, CA
I was up all night with the new hatchlings and one of them started bleeding from the navel so after it stopped bleeding, I removed all the eggshells in the mini advance incubator. The other two chicks were fine and very active. Then I refilled the water reservoirs to keep the humidity high for the other two unhatched eggs. When I finally went to bed about 4 hours ago, they chicks were starting to dry out at least a lot more on their heads. I just woke up and came to check on them and it is really wet in the incubator and they all look REALLY wet, much more so than they did a few hours before. I don't know if it's because they maybe didn't get a lot of sleep, but their eyes are closed too. They open their eyes occasionally but not all the way, and they are chirping and then just fall asleep. I'm really worried that they may have become too wet from the humidity and I feel so stupid for refilling the reservoir. I want to clean the wet paper towel out of the incubator and put them under my Brinsea warmer and then once the incubator is clean again, I would put them back in where hopefully it will be more dry. I am not sure the other two eggs are going to hatch and I just really want these little chicks to survive :-(

Dry those babies out. If your incubator is that wet, there is a problem. They will possibly take a chill moving to the brooder, if they haven't yet, but until they are dry they are at high risk.

Dry those babies out. If your incubator is that wet, there is a problem. They will possibly take a chill moving to the brooder, if they haven't yet, but until they are dry they are at high risk.

I moved them to the brooder and wiped out the wet and smelly towel from the incubator. Then I put the chicks back in the incubator. I've been told it's best to keep them in the incubator for 24 hours until they have fluffed out. I'm so glad I cleaned it out! I have a Brinsea Eco Glow 20 heater and I'm not sure it's warm enough. It's supposed to be good for up to 20 chicks and I have 3, so I figured it should be fine. But I don't know if I should get a second infra red heating lamp for those little guys. Any suggestions?

I moved them to the brooder and wiped out the wet and smelly towel from the incubator. Then I put the chicks back in the incubator. I've been told it's best to keep them in the incubator for 24 hours until they have fluffed out. I'm so glad I cleaned it out! I have a Brinsea Eco Glow 20 heater and I'm not sure it's warm enough. It's supposed to be good for up to 20 chicks and I have 3, so I figured it should be fine. But I don't know if I should get a second infra red heating lamp for those little guys. Any suggestions?

Infrared lamp is what I use. Hang it above one half the brooder, the chicks will gather under it if cold, or move away if too warm. I've removed chicks immediately from the incubator into the brooder to dry and not had an issue for it. I wouldn't put them back, personally, but I'm no expert. Make sure the brooder is clean and dry.

Or if you're worried about them chilling, hold them while they dry. You will emit humidity and warmth both. Tuck them close to you and lay with them for awhile. If they're cold or uncomfortable they'll cry. Quiet peeping chicks are happy chicks!

I've read you can also dry them with a blow dryer, though I've never done it. I think they will dry faster in the brooder because the humidity will be low. I would keep them under the brinsea heater and see how they do.

Back
Top Bottom