1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my 2 new EE Hens Have been sneezing and snorting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luvs chickens, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    I have 3 new EE hens from a swap Sunday before last. Since I got home 2 have been sneezing on and off and some snorting noises, mostly when I pick them up, I have them kept seperate from my flock, one of them has been laying but the other seems to be molting and has not layed. Both are eating layers pellets and drinking fine, poop is normal. The one that is molting seems less active . have given them some protein foods and I started them on vitamin water what should I do and could it just be stress.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Luvs chickens

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Is there anyone who can help me with this problem. I can"t keep them in the cellar forever.

3. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Any bad smells coming from their nasal passages? Any other information you could share?

It could be just about any respiratory disease, if it's a virus then you'll just have to wait it out. It doesn't sound to serious yet, so just keep a look out for more symptoms.

4. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    You would have probably mentioned this, but have you noticed them snorting up mucus and/or blood? If you haven't caught them in action, check the walls of their coop.

Mucus usually means bronchitis, and blood usually means ILT (especially if they're scratching their eyes).

~Airi~

5. Luvs chickens

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Nasal drainage has been clear with no smell. No blood.

6. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I actaully have some hens(pullets) that sneeze too... No blood either, I thought it was just a cold from the cold weather approaching, What do I do to stop it?

7. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    My vet told us at ballet class on Tuesday that there is a weak strain of avian flu going around along with some other flu viruses. (I'm in Indiana) My girls had the sniffles, but after a couple of weeks it's going away. I had no deaths and similar symptoms to what you're reporting.

Edit to add... It seems like you are doing what you can for them for now. The next step would be to find more symptoms or take them to the vet. Some people might recommend treating with an antibiotic like tylosin, but that would only help if they have a bacterial infection.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. Luvs chickens

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Thank you. One seems to be better today. I started them on duramycin -10 that - got at the feed store. Yesterday. The other is still occasionally sneezing and sounds like she has a stuffy nose

9. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    What is ILT?

10. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Quote:I hope they get better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by