Help! My 2yr old chicken helper is now terrified!

Misfit_Chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
NWArkansas
My lil one who has been hands on since we got our little flock.(April 27th) The first thing he asks about when he wakes up are his chickies. Any time he has a snack he want's to share with them. At 8:15pm we go out back every night and watch our last one strut into the coop. We count them and he tells me to shhh because they're going night night. Well, last week we were giving them blue berries and Coco came up and took them straight out of his hand. She pinched him looking for more and now he's terrified. Now whenever we are out there they go up to him expecting treats and he just screams bloody murder unless I hold him! What do I do to fix this?! He still asks about them and giving them treats. He acts like he wants them to come to him. He pat's his knees and says awww with his hands out like he loves them. lol I don't know what to do. How do we help him get over this new fear? Luckily we have super sweet docile birds. But if its treat time they love to swarm you like raptors.
Snapchat-585107203.jpg

Might be hard to hear but this might be a nature versus nuture situation. Let him deal with it on his own. He will eventually get over the fear since it was just one peck. My best advice is not to coddle him. YOU know they wont hurt him...so why are you encouraging him to be afraid? If he gets attention from the fear he will continue doing so.
Just the way I see it. Not trying to judge.🙏

Might be hard to hear but this might be a nature versus nuture situation. Let him deal with it on his own. He will eventually get over the fear since it was just one peck. My best advice is not to coddle him. YOU know they wont hurt him...so why are you encouraging him to be afraid? If he gets attention from the fear he will continue doing so.
Just the way I see it. Not trying to judge.🙏
I only pick him up after it turns hysterical. Otherwise I refuse to lift him up. I pick chickens up for him to pet. He points out which chicken he wants to give attention to. He did help feed them when we let them out this morning. Hopefully this doesn't last long. 🤦

I have quail not chickens so I’m not sure what they eat for treats, is there something like millet spray or anything he can hold one end of and extend toward the chickens? You could squat with him, and deflect any beaks that get close so you can guarantee a positive experience?

maybe put a cucumber on a stick like a corn dog, or something like that?

I only pick him up after it turns hysterical. Otherwise I refuse to lift him up. I pick chickens up for him to pet. He points out which chicken he wants to give attention to. He did help feed them when we let them out this morning. Hopefully this doesn't last long. 🤦
Hysterical makes it sound like a fit. Try asking him calmly why he is scared. If he refuses to answer or "cant" its a t2 fit. Instead of picking him up try giving him 2 options: either stay and help mommy or go inside. Trust me; if he loves the chickens he will stay with mommy. Its a tough age because you have to learn to be tough with them. We all have that maternal instinct that tells us to calm the child. But sometimes a fit is just a fit. Good luck :thumbsup

He's adorable btw

Stop letting them eat out of his hand, at least for now. I have chickens that are relatively gentle, and others who I'm 98% sure are going for flesh, and if not expected, it is startling! Once he throws the treats, they will go after the treats and not him.

Back
Top Bottom