HELP My 4 week old chicks act terrified of me!!!

akroberts1085

Free Ranging
Jul 17, 2022
I purchased my chicks 4 weeks ago and even though I visit with them every day and multiple times a day, they are very reluctant to approach me. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new chicken mama. Their names are Darlin and Little one. They are Rhode Island Reds.

In my experience, RIRs have been the most friendly and outgoing of all the different breeds I've raised over the years. That means that once you have a break through, you're gonna have some fun chickens.
Here's what I do with my chicks. I sit and hang my hand in the brooder, and just talk softly to them, even make little cooing and clicking sounds like a mama hen. In a higher pitched, quiet voice I say things like, "Hi, my babies! I wish you'd come say hi to me." I just say nonsense things, getting them used to my voice.
Having a yummy treat works wonders as well. I hold worms for them. I don't let go until the worm is jerked from my fingers. Fresh fruit, popcorn (unsalted), corn tortillas, even some BSFL (mine don't like those until they are older), just yummy treats for them to associate with you.
Something else that I do, which some on here may not like, is that I will pick up the chick and hold it in my hands. One under the breast bone, with the legs between my fingers, and the other hand on the wings, gently keeping them from flapping. Then my top hand shifts so the side of my hand is holding the wings down while my fingers are making a "blinder" on the side of the chicks head (not touching the head or neck), blocking their sight on one side while I put them close-ish to my face. I turn my face sideways and look at them with the one eye, like a chicken would do. I then speak softly to them, as they focus on me. I move my head like they do, without breaking eye contact.
I do this daily with my chicks. Most of them will just hop on my hand when I put it into the brooder.
I do the same thing to my grown chickens, when we have to catch them on occasion. That can be a scary situation for them, if they don't feel like being caught. It calms them almost immediately. Even strange birds I've never handled before, it works like a charm. It's like you are speaking their language. You make them focus on you while you let them know you are safety.
When I'm outside with my birds during free range time, if they see something that scares them, they run to me. I'm allowed to flap and make noise, and not one of them runs away from me. I have 31 grown birds. Every one of them turns back into a chick with me. I swear by this trick.
My husband is doing this trick with a cockrell that is NOT fond of people. This little guy has to adjust his behavior if he wants to stay here. We don't keep naughty roos. It seems to be working, and they are developing respect, if not a bond.
Try this trick! Let me know how it works. Do it several times a day, and I bet your chicks will be a lot different. Oh! And call them by their names as you look at them and interact with them. They are smart. They will learn who is their safety.

In my experience, RIRs have been the most friendly and outgoing of all the different breeds I've raised over the years. That means that once you have a break through, you're gonna have some fun chickens.
Here's what I do with my chicks. I sit and hang my hand in the brooder, and just talk softly to them, even make little cooing and clicking sounds like a mama hen. In a higher pitched, quiet voice I say things like, "Hi, my babies! I wish you'd come say hi to me." I just say nonsense things, getting them used to my voice.
Having a yummy treat works wonders as well. I hold worms for them. I don't let go until the worm is jerked from my fingers. Fresh fruit, popcorn (unsalted), corn tortillas, even some BSFL (mine don't like those until they are older), just yummy treats for them to associate with you.
Something else that I do, which some on here may not like, is that I will pick up the chick and hold it in my hands. One under the breast bone, with the legs between my fingers, and the other hand on the wings, gently keeping them from flapping. Then my top hand shifts so the side of my hand is holding the wings down while my fingers are making a "blinder" on the side of the chicks head (not touching the head or neck), blocking their sight on one side while I put them close-ish to my face. I turn my face sideways and look at them with the one eye, like a chicken would do. I then speak softly to them, as they focus on me. I move my head like they do, without breaking eye contact.
I do this daily with my chicks. Most of them will just hop on my hand when I put it into the brooder.
I do the same thing to my grown chickens, when we have to catch them on occasion. That can be a scary situation for them, if they don't feel like being caught. It calms them almost immediately. Even strange birds I've never handled before, it works like a charm. It's like you are speaking their language. You make them focus on you while you let them know you are safety.
When I'm outside with my birds during free range time, if they see something that scares them, they run to me. I'm allowed to flap and make noise, and not one of them runs away from me. I have 31 grown birds. Every one of them turns back into a chick with me. I swear by this trick.
My husband is doing this trick with a cockrell that is NOT fond of people. This little guy has to adjust his behavior if he wants to stay here. We don't keep naughty roos. It seems to be working, and they are developing respect, if not a bond.
Try this trick! Let me know how it works. Do it several times a day, and I bet your chicks will be a lot different. Oh! And call them by their names as you look at them and interact with them. They are smart. They will learn who is their safety.
Can you tell me what bsfl is. I'm completely new to chicken raising.

They are sweet little birds.
Like I said, RIRs and the mixes of RIR, are some of my most friendly, outgoing birds. I even have 3 RIR roos, and they are big babies with me. They like to occasionally pretend DH isn't the boss when he picks them up, but as soon as I do the "blinders" and talk to them, they are putty. I think this is why we can have so many roos together. They have a Batchelor Pad, coop and run, just for the boys. I have two roos in "Gen Pop" with the hens, Foggy who is the best roo ever (Barred Rock), and Milo a RIR pullet to cockrell surprise who is extremely submissive. Foggy is the only roo to not be pointlessly violent to Milo. They are far from buddies, but they coexist pretty peacefully, as long as Milo doesn't forget himself and make a hen squawk.
I'm rambling, sorry. I love my chickens and talking about them.😁

Black Soldier Fly Larvae
Way better for your chickens than meal worms. Especially if you get the ones grown and processed here in the US.
I made a like I guess you would say a quiet noise and for the first time little one didn't go ballistic. That was so awesome and nice to see. Darlin might be a roo, however if I can get them to be kosher I am so going to keep him out of the stew pot. I told my husband from the first time our daughter had chickens and there was a rir roo in the mix. He was a mean little turd bucket but now it's going to be different. I am more than likely to have a great RIR roo in my life. Thank you for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom