HELP My 4 week old chicks act terrified of me!!!

I made a like I guess you would say a quiet noise and for the first time little one didn't go ballistic. That was so awesome and nice to see. Darlin might be a roo, however if I can get them to be kosher I am so going to keep him out of the stew pot. I told my husband from the first time our daughter had chickens and there was a rir roo in the mix. He was a mean little turd bucket but now it's going to be different. I am more than likely to have a great RIR roo in my life. Thank you for the advice.
You are so welcome! If you think Darlin is going to be Darryl, definitely get your hands on him and force him to focus on you. Get that relationship solid, before he goes out to the coop. My very first roo, a Golden Lace Wyandotte, was named DeDe, but turned into Dante. I did not interact with Dante the way I interacted with ALL my other chicks. I figured she (before I realized she was he) was just going to be a crazy hen that wasn't interested in people. So I was hands off. Biggest mistake. Not sure why, but Dante turned into a vicious rooster at only 5 months old. He ripped the scalp off one of my older hens. It was all meat and blood. She made it, but is still a bit bald. We built the Batchelor Pad, and put 5 of the 6 roos there. Then Dante beat up Milo. All the time. It caused the other roos to also beat up Milo. Milo went into Gen Pop with Foggy (where his beautiful, huge, floppy comb and wattles are healed, even if he's lost a couple of tail feathers from Foggy). So my husband took Dante out of the boys run, and let him run around the yard alone. Well, Dante snatched one of the hens through the electric net fence by her head and was trying to pull her through the fence. Thankfully we were there and saved Marbles (the hen). He did it again to an older pullet, Sugar, while DH AND Foggy were standing RIGHT THERE. My husband decided he would just dispatch Dante, instead of trading/selling/giving him away. I did NOT want to push this problem roo on someone else, to have him hurt another hen or make babies with his horrible temperament. My husband was dragging his feet because Dante was a gorgeous rooster, and he had a funny little crow that wobbled at the end. But Dante was a douche and I wasn't going to put up with his abusive nature anymore. Dante now resides in my freezer. He was just at 7 months old.
So the moral of that story is, Becky no longer allows stand-offish chicks. Foggy, my amazing roo that runs "Gen Pop" was constantly on my shoulder, in my lap, hanging out with me. I had a cape made out of a beach towel and a safety pin that I wore so he wouldn't poo all over me. There he'd be. I'd be doing dishes, laundry, daily chores, with this Muppet on my shoulder. I think that's why he is so amazing. He is unflappable because I introduced him to noise, my cat, my dogs, everything. Milo was treated similarly but not to the extreme of Foggy. I bought Foggy as a cockrell, so I knew how I was going to raise him. Willy and Kevin are new chicks in the brooder right now that we're supposed to be pullets, but I think will be roos, and they are getting a much more hands on experience. I'll never have another Dante if I can help it.
20221201_151251.jpg
**Edited to move the picture to the appropriate place.

I purchased my chicks 4 weeks ago and even though I visit with them every day and multiple times a day, they are very reluctant to approach me. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new chicken mama. Their names are Darlin and Little one. They are Rhode Island Reds.
If you’re going to pick one up, go from the near front and not from behind or above. Offer them treats every once in awhile, and try to make them take it from your hand.
If I sit them down on my lap and pet them, they learn to trust me a lot better. It takes time as well; they’ll be more flighty when they’re younger, but will warm up to you the older they get.

Treats are good as others mentioned but another important thing is how long you are interacting with them each session. Longer exposure will get them used to you faster. If you can let them run around and come to you for food or even sit on the floor and let them use your leg as a warm roost, that can make progress with a skiddish chick. Some chickens also just take time. I have a hen called Dimple who is super cuddly now, but as a chick she would scream and run if a hand came near. She was like that for several months with hands but she was willing to sit on my leg on her own terms. Later that turned into being ok with being petted on my knee and now she likes a big hug and smoosh against my face just like all my others.

Treats are good as others mentioned but another important thing is how long you are interacting with them each session. Longer exposure will get them used to you faster. If you can let them run around and come to you for food or even sit on the floor and let them use your leg as a warm roost, that can make progress with a skiddish chick. Some chickens also just take time. I have a hen called Dimple who is super cuddly now, but as a chick she would scream and run if a hand came near. She was like that for several months with hands but she was willing to sit on my leg on her own terms. Later that turned into being ok with being petted on my knee and now she likes a big hug and smoosh against my face just like all my others.
Thank you for the advice. I have been so grateful for back yard chickens. Everyone has given me such good advice and tips for taking care of my chicks.

If you’re going to pick one up, go from the near front and not from behind or above. Offer them treats every once in awhile, and try to make them take it from your hand.
If I sit them down on my lap and pet them, they learn to trust me a lot better. It takes time as well; they’ll be more flighty when they’re younger, but will warm up to you the older they get.
I am so grateful for all of the advice and support that everyone has given me. Thank you for sharing your information with me.

You are so welcome! If you think Darlin is going to be Darryl, definitely get your hands on him and force him to focus on you. Get that relationship solid, before he goes out to the coop. My very first roo, a Golden Lace Wyandotte, was named DeDe, but turned into Dante. I did not interact with Dante the way I interacted with ALL my other chicks. I figured she (before I realized she was he) was just going to be a crazy hen that wasn't interested in people. So I was hands off. Biggest mistake. Not sure why, but Dante turned into a vicious rooster at only 5 months old. He ripped the scalp off one of my older hens. It was all meat and blood. She made it, but is still a bit bald. We built the Batchelor Pad, and put 5 of the 6 roos there. Then Dante beat up Milo. All the time. It caused the other roos to also beat up Milo. Milo went into Gen Pop with Foggy (where his beautiful, huge, floppy comb and wattles are healed, even if he's lost a couple of tail feathers from Foggy). So my husband took Dante out of the boys run, and let him run around the yard alone. Well, Dante snatched one of the hens through the electric net fence by her head and was trying to pull her through the fence. Thankfully we were there and saved Marbles (the hen). He did it again to an older pullet, Sugar, while DH AND Foggy were standing RIGHT THERE. My husband decided he would just dispatch Dante, instead of trading/selling/giving him away. I did NOT want to push this problem roo on someone else, to have him hurt another hen or make babies with his horrible temperament. My husband was dragging his feet because Dante was a gorgeous rooster, and he had a funny little crow that wobbled at the end. But Dante was a douche and I wasn't going to put up with his abusive nature anymore. Dante now resides in my freezer. He was just at 7 months old.
So the moral of that story is, Becky no longer allows stand-offish chicks. Foggy, my amazing roo that runs "Gen Pop" was constantly on my shoulder, in my lap, hanging out with me. I had a cape made out of a beach towel and a safety pin that I wore so he wouldn't poo all over me. There he'd be. I'd be doing dishes, laundry, daily chores, with this Muppet on my shoulder. I think that's why he is so amazing. He is unflappable because I introduced him to noise, my cat, my dogs, everything. Milo was treated similarly but not to the extreme of Foggy. I bought Foggy as a cockrell, so I knew how I was going to raise him. Willy and Kevin are new chicks in the brooder right now that we're supposed to be pullets, but I think will be roos, and they are getting a much more hands on experience. I'll never have another Dante if I can help it.
View attachment 3498577
**Edited to move the picture to the appropriate place.
I told my husband that if Darlin turns out to be a roo he may have to go in the stew pot. I think I might have a little trouble with making it happen which is why I am just going to keep making myself known as the leader of the pack so to speak. Thank you for your time and help.

Best treat ever, wet chick crumble! Make a little ball of it and feed by hand every evening before bed. Well I do that. They now come out of the brooder box when I open it and fly up to my shoulder. 😊

Oh I talk to them all the time! Watch their actions when you do! This will tell you what pitch is best and the one that scares them.

Also be consistent and praise when they do what you like or want.

In my experience, RIRs have been the most friendly and outgoing of all the different breeds I've raised over the years. That means that once you have a break through, you're gonna have some fun chickens.
Here's what I do with my chicks. I sit and hang my hand in the brooder, and just talk softly to them, even make little cooing and clicking sounds like a mama hen. In a higher pitched, quiet voice I say things like, "Hi, my babies! I wish you'd come say hi to me." I just say nonsense things, getting them used to my voice.
Having a yummy treat works wonders as well. I hold worms for them. I don't let go until the worm is jerked from my fingers. Fresh fruit, popcorn (unsalted), corn tortillas, even some BSFL (mine don't like those until they are older), just yummy treats for them to associate with you.
Something else that I do, which some on here may not like, is that I will pick up the chick and hold it in my hands. One under the breast bone, with the legs between my fingers, and the other hand on the wings, gently keeping them from flapping. Then my top hand shifts so the side of my hand is holding the wings down while my fingers are making a "blinder" on the side of the chicks head (not touching the head or neck), blocking their sight on one side while I put them close-ish to my face. I turn my face sideways and look at them with the one eye, like a chicken would do. I then speak softly to them, as they focus on me. I move my head like they do, without breaking eye contact.
I do this daily with my chicks. Most of them will just hop on my hand when I put it into the brooder.
I do the same thing to my grown chickens, when we have to catch them on occasion. That can be a scary situation for them, if they don't feel like being caught. It calms them almost immediately. Even strange birds I've never handled before, it works like a charm. It's like you are speaking their language. You make them focus on you while you let them know you are safety.
When I'm outside with my birds during free range time, if they see something that scares them, they run to me. I'm allowed to flap and make noise, and not one of them runs away from me. I have 31 grown birds. Every one of them turns back into a chick with me. I swear by this trick.
My husband is doing this trick with a cockrell that is NOT fond of people. This little guy has to adjust his behavior if he wants to stay here. We don't keep naughty roos. It seems to be working, and they are developing respect, if not a bond.
Try this trick! Let me know how it works. Do it several times a day, and I bet your chicks will be a lot different. Oh! And call them by their names as you look at them and interact with them. They are smart. They will learn who is their safety.
Is it possible to post pictures of how you hold them or even a video? I’m having a similar issue with my chicks. A couple of them are more curious. But the others seem terrified. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom