Help! My 4 wk old chick is wheezing and sneezing.

ravenseye57

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
We put a new bucket waterer in the brooder and it seemed to be working, then we left overnight and it leaked. There was a pretty good sized area of wet straw (now removed), but plenty of dry areas. The rest seem fine, but one of my aracana pullet chicks is wheezing, sneezing and very lethargic. I brought her inside and put lights on her, but I'm not sure if she's drinking (definately not eating). She looks at me when I talk to her and her eyes look fine. What else can I do??
sad.png

wheezing and sneezing sounds like respiratory disease, try put Duramycin in the water. You may want to add some vitamin boost to their water to help them aquire some energy faster. I found these products at TractorSupply. You can also use baby vitamin, polyvisol (no iron), can be found at most drug store or walmart.

Thanks! I put the polyvisol in the water (I had some for my grandson). The antibiotic will have to wait till the feed store is open on Monday. She's MUCH better this morning, eating and drinking and looking much perkier. The wheezing is almost gone, but she's still sneezing a bit. Hopefully, just got chilled and now that she's warmer and has a little peace and quiet to recuperate her immune system will kick in and she can get over it.

If you use Duramycin, you have to make it a stronger dose than what's recommended on the package, (if you can even figure that out...
roll.png
) Use four teaspoons powder per gallon of water for seven to ten days.

Back
Top Bottom