Help! My 5 week old chick is bonded to me and afraid of chickens! I want to integrate her with the flock and get her out of the house.

alangholt

In the Brooder
May 25, 2021
Last year, Wilma, one of our hens, got broody, and we got her a baby chick, which she happily raised. It was lovely to watch. Wilma started showing signs of broodiness again this spring, and I went out (too early) and got another little baby chickie for her. But, lo and behold when I got home, she was out of the coop like it had been a joke. So, we house raised the chickie (named Mrs. Kim from the show Kim's Convenience) in the house, expecting Wilma to commit to broodiness. Well, now it's been almost 5 weeks. Wilma is sitting firmly in her broody ways. Mrs. Kim is firmly bonded to people and afraid of chickens. She wants nothing to do with Wilma, and Wilma wants nothing to do with her.

We just got four 12-week old Bantams, and I got them their own little coop. The Bantams ("the Weasleys") are totally fine out ranging with the 4 big hens that we have already. They stay together. Mrs. Kim is afraid of them too, and wants to be with people pretty much all the time.

Last night, I put Mrs. Kim in the Weasleys' coop at bedtime and she slept over. All was well (though she cried a little until she settled down). This morning Mrs. Kim wanted out, and we brought her in. I tried to get her to hang with the Weasleys in the yard this morning, but she wouldn't, and followed me until I brought her back in the house with me.

I want to get Mrs. Kim integrated into the flock. We didn't have plans to have a house chicken! My thoughts are to have her in the yard more and more with me during the day, hoping she'll start to be braver and hang with the other chickens, and get her used to sleeping with the Weasleys at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me in helping Mrs. Kim make this transition? She's an Amberlink, not a Bantam, if anyone is wondering, though at her age, she's just a little bigger than the Weasleys.

Thanks for any advice!

Mrs Kim.PNG
Here's Mrs. Kim.

Back
Top Bottom