Help! My Ameracauna's feathers are falling out!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by callmeskipper, Oct 10, 2008.

1. callmeskipper

callmeskipper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    I have no idea what is up! Do chickens molt? My Ameracauna's feathers began falling out this week, and she's super skittish (unlike her usual confident self). She hasn't laid an egg in about 10 days to 2 weeks. Could she have a parasite? She lives in a coop with 3 other hens (1 each gold laced wyandotte, plymouth barred rock, buff orp). Anyone have any ideas? I am very concerned and we are going to be out of town this weekend. Thanks for any/all replies.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, she's moulting. Perfectly normal. I have several naked hens running around and it's quite hilarious, but chilly at night. Some lose their feathers slowly and you never notice except for random feathers laying around the coop. And other, well they just drop them all or most of them at once.

Jody

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    She is molting. Completely normal. I petted my Langshan on her perch tonight and watched the feathers fall.

Also, my bantam cochin house have about 2" of feathers covering the litter.

Matt

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    My place looks like a gigantic pillow fight had been held here. Or like chickens exploded. Every fall.

5. callmeskipper

callmeskipper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Thanks to all who replied so quickly about the moulting! You guys are the best [​IMG]. I feel much better knowing it's normal. Have a good weekend.
    Danielle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by