Help my Ayam Cemani chick has something wrong with her eyes

GraceCribbs32

Hatching
May 23, 2022
Hey I need some help. My Ayam Cemani chick and 2 other chicks have clear goop coming out there eyes and swollen eyes. Can you tell me what it is? The Ayam Cemani was the first chick to get it and then the other 2 chicks got it the next day. I need some help figuring out what this is.

Hey I need some help. My Ayam Cemani chick and 2 other chicks have clear goop coming out there eyes and swollen eyes. Can you tell me what it is? The Ayam Cemani was the first chick to get it and then the other 2 chicks got it the next day. I need some help figuring out what this is.

It could be from particulates in the air, like dust or inhalation. Where are they sleeping or spending their time?

It could also be from an infection in their sinus region. The sinus is inside the head behind the roof of their mouth, and when it gets an infection, can cause eye discharge.

Most likely of you can rule out particulate inhalation, it is an infection. If it is viral or bacterial, usually chicks are immune until reaching a certain age and size. How old are they?

You can try to open the first ones mouth and look at the choanal slit on the roof of their mouth. Look for abnornal coloration or buildups, but the problem is internal.

Make sure you keep clean waters everyday, and keep a clean and dust free place.

It could be from particulates in the air, like dust or inhalation. Where are they sleeping or spending their time?

It could also be from an infection in their sinus region. The sinus is inside the head behind the roof of their mouth, and when it gets an infection, can cause eye discharge.

Most likely of you can rule out particulate inhalation, it is an infection. If it is viral or bacterial, usually chicks are immune until reaching a certain age and size. How old are they?

You can try to open the first ones mouth and look at the choanal slit on the roof of their mouth. Look for abnornal coloration or buildups, but the problem is internal.

Make sure you keep clean waters everyday, and keep a clean and dust free place.
Okay thanks. They are in a medium size cage at night and then come out into a bigger cage outside. I’ll try cleaning it out and keeping it clean. They are about a month or two old almost or fully feathered. I’ll loo’ at there mouth and is there anything I should give them or treat them with?

How is the weather at night? Sometimes cooler or damp weather conditions can trigger a minor drip or bubbling in the eyes. I usually see symptoms appear and disappear with a few of my chickens in the colder weather.

Also make sure you keep them up to date with worm treatments. A worm or parasite infestation can lower their immune system and trigger this type of reaction, although unlikely to effect all three of them simultaneously. And also unlikely since you keep them in cages.

The antibiotic Tylosin is used to treat these infections. You may want to keep Tylosin in your medical kit.

As for the swelling, that is a sign of a more developed infection and more complex to treat. You may need to post pictures, perhaps in a new thread about how to deal with the swelling. It could be from infectious coryza illness, and or mycoplasma MG illness. Those are something you will need to diagnose further and perhaps treat, but I hope that the dripping is maybe going to pass after a couple days.

How is the weather at night? Sometimes cooler or damp weather conditions can trigger a minor drip or bubbling in the eyes. I usually see symptoms appear and disappear with a few of my chickens in the colder weather.

Also make sure you keep them up to date with worm treatments. A worm or parasite infestation can lower their immune system and trigger this type of reaction, although unlikely to effect all three of them simultaneously. And also unlikely since you keep them in cages.

The antibiotic Tylosin is used to treat these infections. You may want to keep Tylosin in your medical kit.

As for the swelling, that is a sign of a more developed infection and more complex to treat. You may need to post pictures, perhaps in a new thread about how to deal with the swelling. It could be from infectious coryza illness, and or mycoplasma MG illness. Those are something you will need to diagnose further and perhaps treat, but I hope that the dripping is maybe going to pass after a couple days.
The weather has been very hot and then got cold and rainy. They they have been likes this for a bit but I didn’t catch it early enough.

Do you know if those are contagious? I bet they are i just want to make sure

Thank you so much! I’ll be doing research on those.

Back
Top Bottom