HELP...My babies wont stop yelling???

xfilesnumber1fan

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Missouri
My 6, 3 1/2 week old mallard babies are cheeping their little heads off...???????They have food and water and are just standing there looking up and out of the brooder and yelling..So I take them out and they yell to get back in....????Some are even jumping...But Like I said when they get out they have a fit to get back in? They like it when I sit in there with them...But I cant do that all day.....

I think Shanay is right- they have mommyitis. They want you, but they only want you nearby, on their terms
lol.png

I had the same problem with the last chicks that were in the brooder. And posted the same question. Everyone advised putting a stuffed animal in, or a featherduster- something for them to associate with "mom".
It did work- not perfectly, but it was better than before. I noticed they had a bad habit of stepping on each other. So the ones trying to sleep got stepped on, woken up, and the screaming started. I ended up putting them outside, but thought of putting a box or something in there where the sleping ones could have peace

I concur with everyone so far. Like Wifezilla stated, get yourself a mirror, feather duster, and a stuffed animal that is bigger than the ducklings to try to get them to associate those items with mom instead of you.

I wish I had known that when I got my lone little rescue duckling last August. She flipped out when she couldn't see me, so I put her in a hamster cage that I moved with me from room to room so that I could go about my day ...

11295_pict1603.jpg

Now, even as an adult, she sometimes gets into a tizzy if she can hear me but not see me.

Quote:
Yeah, I know. It was sweet enough to put you in a diabetic coma for the first two days. After that I realized that I had become a slave to the whims of a DUCK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! I even took her with me to the store once (I had a mesh pocket on the inside of my jacket that I lined with news paper and tissue). I saw a few employees looking around the store, I guess they though a bird got stuck inside and they were trying to find it to help it out. I never did that again, but it was funny ...

Quote:
Yeah, I know. It was sweet enough to put you in a diabetic coma for the first two days. After that I realized that I had become a slave to the whims of a DUCK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! I even took her with me to the store once (I had a mesh pocket on the inside of my jacket that I lined with news paper and tissue). I saw a few employees looking around the store, I guess they though a bird got stuck inside and they were trying to find it to help it out. I never did that again, but it was funny ...

yuckyuck.gif

Thats too funny!! I could so see that happening.
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom