HELP...My babies wont stop yelling???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xfilesnumber1fan, May 2, 2009.

1. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My 6, 3 1/2 week old mallard babies are cheeping their little heads off...???????They have food and water and are just standing there looking up and out of the brooder and yelling..So I take them out and they yell to get back in....????Some are even jumping...But Like I said when they get out they have a fit to get back in? They like it when I sit in there with them...But I cant do that all day.....

2. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    It's mommy-itis. They want you.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Yeah, they want you with them. They dont want out in the world, they just want you with them where they are.

They'll get over it.

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I think Shanay is right- they have mommyitis. They want you, but they only want you nearby, on their terms [​IMG]
    I had the same problem with the last chicks that were in the brooder. And posted the same question. Everyone advised putting a stuffed animal in, or a featherduster- something for them to associate with "mom".
    It did work- not perfectly, but it was better than before. I noticed they had a bad habit of stepping on each other. So the ones trying to sleep got stepped on, woken up, and the screaming started. I ended up putting them outside, but thought of putting a box or something in there where the sleping ones could have peace

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Get a feather duster and a mirror. Trust me [​IMG]

6. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I concur with everyone so far. Like Wifezilla stated, get yourself a mirror, feather duster, and a stuffed animal that is bigger than the ducklings to try to get them to associate those items with mom instead of you.

I wish I had known that when I got my lone little rescue duckling last August. She flipped out when she couldn't see me, so I put her in a hamster cage that I moved with me from room to room so that I could go about my day ...

[​IMG]

Now, even as an adult, she sometimes gets into a tizzy if she can hear me but not see me.

7. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Tooo....Cute.....

8. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:Yeah, I know. It was sweet enough to put you in a diabetic coma for the first two days. After that I realized that I had become a slave to the whims of a DUCK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! I even took her with me to the store once (I had a mesh pocket on the inside of my jacket that I lined with news paper and tissue). I saw a few employees looking around the store, I guess they though a bird got stuck inside and they were trying to find it to help it out. I never did that again, but it was funny ...

9. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Quote:Yeah, I know. It was sweet enough to put you in a diabetic coma for the first two days. After that I realized that I had become a slave to the whims of a DUCK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! I even took her with me to the store once (I had a mesh pocket on the inside of my jacket that I lined with news paper and tissue). I saw a few employees looking around the store, I guess they though a bird got stuck inside and they were trying to find it to help it out. I never did that again, but it was funny ...

[​IMG]
    Thats too funny!! I could so see that happening.
    Crystal

10. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    You spoil them!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by