help my baby quail just dropped dead

jlehr25

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Hello so I have about 78 babies coturnix breeds and one just dropped dead was breathing really hard on its back then just stopped breathing :( it's about 1 day old they have water and feed 30% protein the rest look fine and healthy however they keep messing with one of the babies and keep pecking out his feathers is there anything I can do to help him?? Please help I'm worried about them

First, sometimes chicks just die, you can't know what is wrong inside when they are that small. I can guess pretty confidently though that you don't have enough space in your brooder if your cots are fighting at that age. 80 chicks would take up at least two "tub style" brooders if they are the largest ones available. By two weeks old they would need 4 of those brooders and by 4 weeks would take 6 or 8 if they are jumbo cots. If they don't have sufficient space they'll fight or pick. If your temps are too high they'll fight. They also sometimes will pick at tux birds purples toes and white birds brown spots.

What kind of brooder do have them in?

Whats the temp on the floor under the light?

Whats the temp of the whole brooder?

What color is your bulb?

ETA: If you have chicks dying clean all the feces out of the brooder and make sure they aren't tracking water on the floor. Most disease in brooders comes from not being clean enough. If feces and moisture spend too long in contact under a warm light you will have cocci or enteritis problems. Lets hope not though.

Last edited:
My bulb is white the temp under the light is 95 and they are the 35 gallon rubbermaid containers

You have them WAY too crammed in. They are going to become aggressive, trample each other, over heat, starve and or die of thirst. You need to divide these birds down to where they have at least 1/2 to 1 square foot in the brooder. And as DC has suggested, as they grow be prepared to make even more room.

Back
Top Bottom