Help! My Blue Breasted lost his mate...

Quailbert Quailington

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2019
I have a male Chinese Blue Breasted button who recently lost his mate. He was very attached to her. Every time I would take her out of the pen, even for a minute, he would start crowing for her. She recently passed (three days ago) and he has not stopped crowing for her. I'm not sure what to do! Do I get him a new mate? Do I wait until he settles down? I recently hatched some chicks (from his grandparents) that are about a week and a half old now- Should I wait until one of the females grows up and introduce them? Should I pick a new girl up from another quail family in the area? If I get him another mate, HOW should I introduce them, and is it too soon? Some help would be much appreciated! I feel so bad for the little guy! Thanks in advance for the help!

I am very sorry for your little guy :hugs

Don't give him a mate from the chicks you hatched. If they were from his grandparents, that would make the new mate his aunt, which would be inbreeding. When getting him a new mate, try and get one from a completely different bloodline from him to avoid inbreeding.

How soon can you get him a mate? You should wait a few days to let him mourn, but not too long, otherwise he will get lonely. Quail are very social animals and should have company.

How did his mate die? Was she sick? If so, you should quarantine him for a little while before giving him a new mate. I had a quail whose mate got sick and died earlier this year. I think I ended up quarantining him for about two weeks before putting him with anyone else.

When you introduce them, do it slowly. You can try putting a divider in the enclosure so they can see each other before they interact.

Hope this helps. I am happy to answer any other questions you have.

Divider was also my idea ... through they can see each other first.

Also, when bringing them together, give the male some living mealworms.
Chinese Blues males do offer them to the female, also calling them, if hopefully the chemestry is good.
Maybe a good wedding gift 😁😉

Divider was also my idea ... through they can see each other first.

Also, when bringing them together, give the male some living mealworms.
Chinese Blues males do offer them to the female, also calling them, if hopefully the chemestry is good.
Maybe a good wedding gift 😁😉

My males feed their mates. Its adorable to watch.

Back
Top Bottom