1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help My Buff - HURT LEG

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stillmecle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. stillmecle

stillmecle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    My Buff all of a sudden this morning cannot walk on her right legg. I checked it all over and see no cuts, srapes or injury to it. I put her in the pool and she is happy. But what do I do??? We no not have duck vets around here.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    So nobody can help me? Give me ideas on what to do? As I've said many times I am new to this And this has me scared to death because she won't eat or drink, I had to make a bed for her and put food and water beside her so that maybe she will eat or drink. I quarantined her from the other ducks so they would not pick on her. she has been laying 2 eggs everyday for 3 days now. is that are unsual? she definitely is a atslayer. now I just have to figure out what's wrong with her legs. Somebody please help me or give me some ideas on what to do. we do not have a vet around here that treats ducks. so I am kind of relying on you guys. Can somebody please give me advice? I don't mean for this sound bossy or snotty, I just need some help

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I've not heard of a duck laying 2 eggs a day, maybe that is taking too much out of her, if she'll drink try giving her Nutri Drench, it is a rapid Nutritional Supplement. Could she have jumped down off of something and injured her leg, My drake jumped dwn from their pool instead of using the ramp and has been limping for about a week. Hope this helps. I am still amazed that she is laying 2 eggs a day.

4. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I've been shocked to finding 2 eggs under her everyday. And I know it's not the other female because she has not been in the coop at night. she didn't wanna go in when I went to bed so she stayed locked out into the pen instead of going into the coop. well n out this morning though my buff stood up off of her nest and there were 2 eggs again. it was that way yesterday too. hopefully I will have some babies. but I worry about her being hurt. should I just keep her away from the other ducks for a while? The only problem I have with that Is that my drake is finally interested in her and they are finally breeding. Maybe he pushed down too hard on her?. What should I do?

5. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    Where do I get Nutri Drench?

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Here's what I would do. Check her over again paying close attention to her joints and also check her vent and belly. If she has been laying that many eggs perhaps she has one stuck? I would then put niacin in her water (pharmacy isle) 100 mg/ gal of water- I usually give my growing out babies this but lucky duck, who spent the better part of a year in hospital (ie dog crate) got this treatment as well.

She may have sprained something or it is in her joints. I would give her a week of minimal movement and see how she is. Check her out every day. Also did you check her for bumble foot?

How is she doing as far as eating and drinking?

7. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    What is bumblefoot

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  9. stillmecle

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    No Bumble foot. Its up in her joint. I put her in the pool for awhile an the drake mated with her. Should I seperate her now so she can rest?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I think I would give her a few days off from the drake. he could make it worse by being heavier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by