Help! My Buff Orpington hen is sick!!

Have you monitored her crop? It should be completely empty in the morning. A crop issue can cause watery stools and labored breathing.
I would also check her abdomen - cup your hand between her legs and feel back up towards her vent. Does it feel swollen or bloated at all? Compare to her sisters for accuracy.
Do you know if she has been laying? When was her last egg? Reproductive disorders can also cause labored breathing.

Photos of your chicken now, and her poo, would be really helpful!

I bow down and out to @MissChick@dee who I am sure has a ton more experience than I. Glad you showed up babe ;). Thinking that all of my well intended advice may not be on the mark. I am in a warm climate and 99.9% of my issues have been with nasty parasites and Corid is my #1 go to and #1 solution. Please post some photos of hen and update her condition so that she can be more accurately diagnosed- short of a vet.

Her breathing is back to normal since yesterday afternoon. Her voice is a bit raspy but not her breathing like Thursday.

Her poop is more watery, but I believe is because she drank her complete bowl of water. She is eating very well. She did not lay me an egg yesterday but this morning she did.

I did the water with ACV and she seems to be doing well. I also hear oregano was great for them so in her strawberry treat I mashed some in there. She loved it and ate it all. Today’s treat I will give her some coconut oil to see if she enjoys that.

Attachments

• 0FABC6FF-25F4-497A-B3DE-D9F8CE390DE9.jpeg
    0FABC6FF-25F4-497A-B3DE-D9F8CE390DE9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 972B4EF9-9ED4-4BD0-9261-64FB226E5E63.jpeg
    972B4EF9-9ED4-4BD0-9261-64FB226E5E63.jpeg
    970.7 KB · Views: 6
  • D740753C-BC1F-420B-82B0-BB87A33EF616.jpeg
    D740753C-BC1F-420B-82B0-BB87A33EF616.jpeg
    962.5 KB · Views: 6
  • CE8AF26B-F966-4932-B8F1-AFB204A5EE07.jpeg
    CE8AF26B-F966-4932-B8F1-AFB204A5EE07.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Have you monitored her crop? It should be completely empty in the morning. A crop issue can cause watery stools and labored breathing.
I would also check her abdomen - cup your hand between her legs and feel back up towards her vent. Does it feel swollen or bloated at all? Compare to her sisters for accuracy.
Do you know if she has been laying? When was her last egg? Reproductive disorders can also cause labored breathing.

Photos of your chicken now, and her poo, would be really helpful!
Her crop seems fine. I also examined her like you explained and her sister and she seems to be the same as all of the girls ..

Here’s a poo photo

Attachments

• FEF4A34D-8174-4AA8-A010-F67334396BEF.jpeg
    FEF4A34D-8174-4AA8-A010-F67334396BEF.jpeg
    761.4 KB · Views: 6
Her poop looks fine to me. It is possible she just had something caught in her airways which has now dislodged/cleared!
If you wanted, to be sure, you could get a fecal float examined to check for parasites/worms.

Maybe I am wrong, but with a functional crop (keep an eye on this - quite a bit of fibrous material in her poop), and without swelling or bloating in her abdomen, eating and drinking fine and acting normal ... I would just keep an eye on her for now if she were my chicken :oops: Unless her breathing became raspy again of course.

Well she’s a doll! Looking at the poop and I’m not the poop expert it looks as if she passed a good deal of grass in it.
I’m guessing that she drank a lot of water because she was able to take in more after that poo. Long grass can be a killer it balls up in the crop and can form a nasty impaction.
When’s the last time she laid an egg? And have you checked to see if she’s bound. Not that she’s showing symptoms but you never know with chickens.
When you talk about her being raspy (a video upload would be great) how and how often does it happen?

Her poop looks fine to me. It is possible she just had something caught in her airways which has now dislodged/cleared!
If you wanted, to be sure, you could get a fecal float examined to check for parasites/worms.

Maybe I am wrong, but with a functional crop (keep an eye on this - quite a bit of fibrous material in her poop), and without swelling or bloating in her abdomen, eating and drinking fine and acting normal ... I would just keep an eye on her for now if she were my chicken :oops: Unless her breathing became raspy again of course.
Yea I think I will just keep monitoring her for signs of any changes. I think she seems to be out of harms way.

Thursday I was so worried her breathing was very load but Friday she was. Fine and today you can’t hear it anymore. She sure did scare me:(. I’m so glad you all were able to reassure me she would be fine.

Here’s a few things I have learned.
Corid is for coccidiosis. NOT for worms.
One key symptom of coccidiosis is bloody stools or pooping blood. Which thank goodness your girl does not show.
When worming there is always a second dose that needs to be given (depending on the wormer you choose) it could be anywhere from 10 or 14 days after the original (first) treatment. This ensures that any eggs that hatched into little worms will be taken care of.
The most common worms for chickens is round worms. But they can pick up others for sure when they peck and scratch and eat off the ground.
This is what I did (blow by blow lol). I used a product called Wazine. It’s for pigs & turkey’s & chickens. I’m sure othe folks use it for other animals. It kills round worms. Added to water in a non-metal dish. 1oz (shotglass) to a gallon of water. I pulled up all water late in the afternoon the day before I give the Wazine water. I give the medicated water for 24hours.
For the follow up dose I used what is called a broad spectrum wormer. To treat all other possible worms. I used a wormer called Noromectin I would of preferred Ivermectin but I’m limited by where I live. This product needs to be given orally with a syringe (no needle) directly into the mouth. Please look on YouTube for HOW to do this. Just remember it’s to the SIDE (and back) of the mouth. Never straight in the bird could aspirate. Once you get the hang of it it’s a sinch!
And AVC should not be used in combination with any medication or treatment. Ever. It can interact or negate the effects. PS...the oregano was a good homeopathic choice with AVC herbs are different than chemicals.
Phew...my texting thumb is tired. Lol I’m hoping this all is helpful.
Iffin you want to know my experiences with timing of worming and egg withdrawal I’d be happy to share that.

Back
Top Bottom