Help!! My bunny's legs are lame!! UPDATE: She's gone :(

Not really. My dad is a 'knock it in the head' type, so he would be no help.
sad.png

maybe just call a vet to ask how much to just bring her in to be put down?..i dont know how much that would be....i just wouldnt want to cause her any more pain or anything...at the vets its just a little shot..
sad.png

My SO does most of it for me. If he isn't around, and I feel it needs to be done, their necks are really fragile as well...
hit.gif
Every time, it breaks my heart. But I don't want them to suffer, either. I broke my back, and I know it doesn't feel good. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. You can put her in a box with shavings in the bottom. The fact that she isn't eliminating independently is a dead giveaway usually. I'm really sorry. You might be able to take her to a vet to have her put to sleep. I'm not sure what the costs are there. I had a flemish put down, the first ever, and it was over $100.
hugs.gif

I had a family call me because this happened to their daughter's bunny. He would try to hop around and he pee'd and poo'd when you moved him. They gave him 2 days and I gave him overnight but he never improved.

You could take her to a vet although I imagine you'd pay an emergency fee on a Sunday
hu.gif

I guess call around and see what is available.

Do you know anyone with a gun? it isn't pretty but it is very fast. I'm sorry you have to go through this
hugs.gif
it is not a good sign that she is not eating or drinking. If it were me I'd want her out of misery as soon as possible.

I had a rabbit do this and it was a parasite. I took him back to the breeder and she tried getting him well again. Just as it seemed he was going to get better he was getting worse so she put him down. If you have any other rabbits you should move him out to keep the other rabbits from getting sick too.

I was going to take her to the vet today, but didn't have any way to get there. She has gotten her appetite back (was eating part of an apple), so maybe I'll wait till Monday and see how she's doing. I might go ahead and take her to the vet, if she seems like she is doing any better.

My holland lop buck I JUST bought (same day must about a half hour before) I was posing him to look him over better at my home to see how i wanted to use him in my breeding program...he FLUNG straight up into the air upon me touching his chest, and landed sideways on a rock (a large boulder our backyard is nothing but....well theres grass but theres several large boulders).

I kept him for a month, knowing full well he had a broken back....reading of many who keep theirs alive like that. One good thing about rabbits is a rabbit that's in pain squeals to beat all, so I doubt she's in pain anymore (if she even ever was). My buck happily ate and one thing that was great about him not pottying on his own was I could pick him up three times a day or more and put him above the toilet to pee. Now his poo that just came out while he'd drag himself around.

I soon decided I had to put the poor guy to sleep, he wasnt getting any better and i was only keeping him alive because I felt so bad for what happened, but he had practically no life. He couldnt binkie, and could only really drag himself around with the aid of a tarp i wraped around his lower belly so when dragging it was more of a sliding motion than a dragging on.

He was gorgeous...he was a broken black with silver (i forget the full color name for that). His name was Luigi and he had an amazing pedigree, and an awesome show bod only prob was he wasnt showable color.

Hitting a rabbit hard on the head is a fine way to kill one, many rabbitries kill that way. Others do more cruel methods (like crushing their neck with a rake.....ouch)! I've attempted breaking rabbits necks, unless you're really strong, it only works well on youngsters. I've had to cull so many rabbits due to illness or injury (or extreemly nasty temperments) or for meat...and hitting them on the head is the best method By far IMO. Shooting is messy...
sickbyc.gif

I hope it's just a pinched nerve but that's what i hoped with Luigi and it deffinatly wasnt
sad.png

Well, she is gone.
sad.png
I had my dad put her out of her misery this morning. She was not eating, didn't move around at all. Her abdomen was starting to look swollen, probably from not being able to go potty on her own.

hit.gif

I couldn't watch, I just walked away and cried
hit.gif
Sometimes I just hate having pets!!!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom