Help!! My bunny's legs are lame!! UPDATE: She's gone :(

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I went out to feed this morning and my little mine rex doe was still sitting in the same spot she was yesterday morning when I fed them!!

She acts like she can't use her back legs???

Any ideas? Could she be sick? I don't think she could have gotten hurt!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your bunny. I have no idea what it could be. I have never experinced this. I hope your bunny will be ok.

o poor bunny did you pick her up and make sure her toe or leg was not stuck in the wire? I dont know what could be wrong with her

No, my dad had made the cage for her, and she was in the box that he had 'built' in. The wire is 1/4" hardware cloth, so I don't think she could have gotten caught. Plus it is both of her back legs, not just one.

I really really hate to say this, Shelley, but she's probably broken her back. We raise, breed, and show so I've had to deal with this before. rabbits have very fragile bones, which is why we're taught how to pick them up so they don't freak out when we do so. They can and do break their own backs, in their cages. It's hard to say for sure what happened that made her do so, but I think that's the problem.
If that is the case, the only thing you can do is put her down. I've lost some of my very best show rabbits, and it's hard.
Try picking her up. Bring her inside, set her on a couch or carpet. If she's dragging her legs, it's not good. There's no way to fix it once this happens.
I'm so sorry this happened to you! I've become accustomed to it, so I give them the best life I can while they're in good health. We have over 30 rabbits, and they all get special treatment from my kids and myself.
Please let me know how things are going. I know it's hard to put a pet down, so I'm here if you need me
hugs.gif

Well, I went out and got her, and she was 'trying' to fight me. She was trying to kick, but her back legs just are not working. She also just peed nonstop when I picked her up. I hope your wrong, but I think you're right. My poor girl!!
sad.png

Here is a pic of her. A friend of mine said she might just be cold, so I brought her inside. I'm thinking she did hurt herself from jumping in that stupid box.

PICT0256.jpg

You see how her back legs are? This is how she's been sitting since yesterday morning.

Ohh no, Yes it does look like a broken back or pinched nerve. You need to get her to the vet asap. He can give you a diagnosis or euthanize her. Sorry about your bunny.
hugs.gif

Iv had this happen about a year ago, A stray dog was under the cages chasing them and one broke its back.And I had to euthanize it.

I wouldn't bother with the vet, unless you need help putting her down. We do it ourselves here, as it's not cost effective to take them to the vet when you have over 30.
A vet won't be able to do anything besides put her down. Give her a day or two if you'd like, just to see if it is a pinched nerve. But it looks like a broken back. I'm so sorry! She is a beautiful broken tort, too.
If you'd like to PM me, I can help any other way possible. I'm sorry this happened, but you have to realize there's nothing you could have done. It just happens.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom