Help, my call duck's eye is crusted over, he cant open it, Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cat1994, Dec 28, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I went out today, to feed and water everybody, and I noticed that one of my white male call duck's eye is crusted over!!! He cant even open it!! I have not seen him eat or drink, and he can barely walk !!! I called the vet and Im going to take him as soon as I can, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here can help!!!
    Please Help!!!

2. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I just called the vets and they said I can pick up some eye drops as soon as I can!!! I going to get them right now, hopefully they will help!!!

3. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have had this happen to my ducks a few times. It usually occurs when they don't get enough water.

An eye problem like this is very fixable.

Lot of water, and rinsing of the eye will help. Sometimes you can use a tad of Epson Salt mixed in with some water. And you just mix it together and gently wash the lid.

Doing this with the eye drops should have his eye fixed in no time!

Hope this helped!

CC

4. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    Ducks need water deep enoough to dunk their heads to keep nostrals and eyes clear. We use heated dog water bowls with a board across half of top. They can't take a bath and drown their bedding. [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Not being able to walk suggests something else other than the eye is amiss. The eye should improve with cleaning and the drops- but there may be something else going on with your drake. If he doesnt start eating and drinking or walking again fairly soon after starting with the drops you may need to get him to the vet for a check of what else may be wrong with him.

6. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Thanks for all the help, his is inside now, with a deep, clean, bowl of water and some feed. After a big warm bath ,his eye opened up a lil. I gave him some greens and he eat them all [​IMG] I put the eye drops in and his eye opened up all the way, he has been walking much better since both his eyes are open, I think the only reason he was not walking very much was b/c he could not see. Now that I think about it, I have not been filling the ducks water bowl full enough for them to wash their face in it [​IMG] b/c it always freezes so fast and it is so hard to get the ice out. I feel really bad now, [​IMG] if my duck is sick b/c he didn't have enough water, then it is all my fault [​IMG] I was to lazy to do my job as their care taker, to provied good, clean water in the right amount. [​IMG] Oh well now I know I have to step up a notch on the care of my duckies [​IMG]

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    cat1994,

Dont be so hard on yourself, as soon as you saw a problem, you went for answers, here and the vet.
    And, I must say I learned something from you.
    Thank you for sharing your story and keep learning.
    that is what life is about.

Beth

8. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Yea, Don't be so hard on your self.
    The important thing is that you learned from a mistake, and you now know what to do.
    Everyone has to learn some how!
    [​IMG]

9. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I had the same thing to happen to one of mine last week. I felt horrible because I lost mine [​IMG] I had been getting someone to feed and water for me during the day while I was at work and she just got too weak where she couldn't see that well and the others kinda bullied her out of the way of food and water. The others have always been fine but her eye always staid a lil matted but she never was in her water like the rest. She would get a drink and thats it. Kinda like she didnt like water. Anyhows She just wasn't eating and drinking enough and I guess the cold weather didnt help and I lost her. Glad you found yours in time. Good luck!!! Im sure he'll be a very spoiled duck now. [​IMG]

10. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    My lil Call is doing muck better now, he got another warm bath this morn. He eye is open fully, but is a lil matted still. He will stay with inside with me today, so I can continue to put the eye drops in his eye. He is indeed becoming a very spoiled duck, I can tell he is lonely though [​IMG] . I put him by the window so he could see out, and my 3 geese came by and they are now talking to each other thourgh the window [​IMG] It dawned on me that I have not told you guys what my lil Calls name is [​IMG] his name is Lil Bit and he is one of my first calls I ever got [​IMG]
    This is a old pic of my lil flock of white Call ducks [​IMG] Lil Bit is the one in the back cleaning himself [​IMG]
    Thanks again to you all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by