HELP! My cat won't come in!

Farm Chic

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Davisburg, MI
First, my cat is 8 years old and is the best cat in the world!! He sleeps with us, loves on us, has his routine of eating everyday at the same time, follows us where ever we go inside or out and he has the best personality. He loves being outdoors when it is just right for him. so being out all night is not out of the norm, however, as of late, it is!

I just recently got 2 kittens last week and brought them home. He of course didn't like it one bit! He only hissed and growled at them but never tried to hurt them. So we thought that was a good thing. Now he won't come in! The 2nd night we had the kittens I went out to bring in my cat for the night to sleep with me and when I put him on the bed, he hissed and growled and looked like he was ready to pounce on me. He knows that I don't tolerate that behavior and I understand that hissing is normal when he feels threatened but the kittens were under a couch in the living room sleeping, totally away from my room with the doors closed! He got smacked (I know pretty dumb on my part but it was more for the growl and possible pounce he was about to do). He had hissed during this day and the day before while in my lap, eating and such and I didn't yell or smack then.

Well after that, he stayed outside that night. The next morning and every morning thereafter, I have fed him out there because he won't come in and I have made it a point to love on him for as long as I can and talk to him when I went outside every single day! My hubby finally came home from a long weekend away and he is having no luck either.

I know that it will take a week or two or more for my cat to adjust, but does this behavior sound normal??

If you live in an area he's safe outside the time to adjust should be ok, if he's in any danger from predators or cars, get a cat trap and catch him, bring him inside and let him get over his pouting safely. If you have a small carrier/cage you could put the kittens in while you aren't there, for their safety, that would be good too. Mine adapt pretty quickly, hope yours will too, good luck to all.

It's very normal behavor. He is upset with you about those kittens. I would make sure I gave him extra cuddle time-just him-to let him know you are not replacing him.

As WriterofWords has said, if he is safe outside then I wouldn't push for him to come in just yet. If after a little while he still refuses and you want him to continue coming in you may have to force the issue. But, if it's not safe then you'll have to forceably bring him in and don't let him back out for a few days. Lock the kittens up, whether it be in carrier or a room that he doesn't like to go in doesn't matter. Just let him have free roam of the house like before.

The smell of the kittens is probably all over you and all over the house. He is threatened and mad to be in the house even when they are no where to be seen.
Hope he is able to get over it and come back in!

Last edited:
It took my first cat at least six months to get over each new cat. He's still a jerk to all but one of them. At this point, I'm bringing home new animals so frequently that we've adopted a get over it on your own policy. I still give everyone the same amount of attention as they normally receive, but no special favours. If someone decides to act like an idiot and not come eat, they don't eat. No one has missed two meals in a row!

Back
Top Bottom