HELP! My chick is a BRUTE!

AllCoop'dUp

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2010
Creswell, Oregon
Purchased 4 Araucanas, 2 Speckled Sussex's and 2 Welsummers. The tiniest of the group, a little Welly is an absolute brute to all the others. I've determined by wing formation that "it" must be a rooster. They have more than adequate space, but this little guy deliberately attacks all the others and pecks at them. He's only 3 weeks old!! I've sprayed all the others down with blue kote and this 6 oz monster still pecks at them. Talk about getting a "bad" egg!! My options are to throw him in with the 3 week old ducklings and risk him drowning or put him in with the 12 week old adolescents and let them teach him some manners. For the sake and sanity of the others, what should I do with him?

I had a 3 day old like that and had to put it in a "time out" section of the brooder (he could hear the others). I did that for 24 hours and reintegrated. Had to do it for 12 hours the next night. He's been good since.

I'd suggest putting him in solitary confinement with a mirror for a while. When he goes back with the others, then, he will be the "outsider" and should have more competition.

Back
Top Bottom