Help... my chick is hurt.

Chirp85

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
My chick was recently hurt somehow in the leg. He was bleeding and limping on the left leg. After cleaning his leg I wrapped it with vet wrap. The second day it was swollen and looked purple. I cleaned and rewrapped. Today (3rd day), when I removed the wrap to clean his leg it was swollen even more and green. There is no change to him healing or getting worse... can I do anything else to help him... is the green good or bad... I don't think anything is broken but how can I tell for sure... I'm completely new to chick's can anyone advise please... thanks.

My chick was recently hurt somehow in the leg. He was bleeding and limping on the left leg. After cleaning his leg I wrapped it with vet wrap. The second day it was swollen and looked purple. I cleaned and rewrapped. Today (3rd day), when I removed the wrap to clean his leg it was swollen even more and green. There is no change to him healing or getting worse... can I do anything else to help him... is the green good or bad... I don't think anything is broken but how can I tell for sure... I'm completely new to chick's can anyone advise please... thanks.

The green could be bruising. Be careful not to wrap the leg too tightly. Wash the wound down with antiseptic and spray with an antibiotic or blukote. The swelling is a bit concerning. Do you think he may have gotten his leg caught somewhere? This link will give some valuable info on leg injuries in general.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
Around here green is not a good color to have… does it smell ok? If it has even a tinge of a putrid smell, there may be more going on than you will be able to deal with. If it smells ok on the third or fourth day, it might be ok. We will hope for the latter.

Best to you and you hurt bird,

RJ

Update... thanks for the info and advise all... green has gone away. Swelling is down... chick stays off the leg but working on physical therapy and proper nutrition... hopefully he will be back on both legs soon

If there is an open wound, wash with clean water and make a TURMERIC paste with a little water... Dab it on and bind (not too tight).

Turmeric is amazing for healing wounds.

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-for-wounds (some good info on the how's and why's of turmeric and healing... it works like a charm on humans AND our feathered friends!)

I had an Indian neighbor with chickens... One of her ladies lost a toe to a metal feeder. She scooped her up, made a paste with turmeric and water, and wrapped her foot up. Within a week, it had healed without a blemish. now she's got a chicken down a toe, but no worse for wear.

If there is a break, I'm not sure what to do for that.
hmm.png

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom