Help!!! My Chick Swalled A String!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryQueen, Jun 6, 2010.

1. PoultryQueen

PoultryQueen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    my chick just swalled a string and its too long to go all the way down but its not just sliding out HELP!!!!!!!

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    is he choking

3. PoultryQueen

Apr 17, 2010
    no

4. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    can you grab the string

5. PoultryQueen

Apr 17, 2010
    yes

6. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    maybe just grab the string and pull it very lightly if there is to much resistence let go of the string

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If you can't pull it out, cut it off by the chicks beak so it can swallow it to clear the throat. Maybe a couple of drops of mineral,cooking, or somekind of oil to help in passing the string.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I've done this once. The string is wrapped around the tongue. Your going to have to have someone help you hold her down. You will have to cut the string off of her tongue. I have no idea how they get it wrapped around the tongue, but I am pretty sure it's around your birds tongue.

You'll need some very small scissors and some steady hands. It took me about 2 hours to get the string off. They wind it around very tightly and it takes time to get up in under the string to be able to cut it loose.

9. PoultryQueen

Apr 17, 2010
    its ressisting and wayy in there theres lots

10. ilikespots

ilikespots Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    i recently had a older hen to do the same thing and i just gently pulled it out. everyonce in awhile it seemed like it was kinda hanging up and i just kept the tension on it and it would turn loose and some more would come out , until it was all the way out. the hen is fine now and doing real good.

30 bantams mostly japanese, 15 jersey giants , 3 hogs, 4 dogs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by