HELP!!! My chicken has been attacked by my giant dog!!!

Hazzard

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Oxfordshire
A week ago, my chicken flew over the fence and my dog was running round the garden with its bottom and bottom of the back area in his mouth. We rescued her and put her back in our flock of 4. She is laying perfectly fine and is getting in with life as normal apart from the fact that she doesn't sleep on the roosting sticks like the others; she sleeps in the nesting box. She doesn't really like being picked up! She has got vitamins in her water and food and apart from that, she is fine. The wound has sealed up but most tail feathers are missing! What should I do now?!
(she is the white one!) thank you!

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. Sorry to hear about your bird getting caught by the dog. Maybe she is still feeling a bit sore and finds the perches uncomfortable to roost on. Did she roost on perches before the dog attack? Maybe she has some internal damage that can't be seen that's making her uncomfortable. There is the emergency injury disease section too that may have some info for you. Hope she fully recovered soon :fl. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen. Yorkshire coop gave you some good suggestions and link to post on. Take a really good look at her again in case there were other injuries and the one injury to be sure you don't have fly strike started or if it is infected underneath the scab.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help..

I'm sorry about the attack! But I'm glad she is better!

Is she broody? Is that why she is not happy with getting out of the nest? Like Yorkshire coop said, she may be sore and still a little fearful about things and the nest my seem comforting to her. Try as much as possible to get her to sleep on the roosts again. Sleeping in nests is a bad habit to get into.

Good luck!

Thank you very much!
1f604.png
also, are there any signs of infection? She isn't broody and she is eating well and drinking well! Thank You!

Thank you very much mountain peeps! She seems perfectly fine apart from the wound! I will look out for lumps, puss and swelling! Again thank you very much!!!
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f604.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry to hear about your hen! She is looking pretty good to me as well. Chickens really do have a remarkable ability to heal themselves!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your hen. I hope she makes a full recovery. :)

Back
Top Bottom