help my chicken has hurt its leg and can hardly walk need help asap

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joelman7, Dec 12, 2012.

1. joelman7

joelman7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    well i was putting my chickens away when i saw one limping i got her and i didnt see anything pls help
  2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    My Coop
    It might be a sprain - so you didn't see any wound and/or blood? What about swelling? I'll help you if I can [​IMG]
  3. Doctor Pammie

Doctor Pammie Out Of The Brooder

I am dealing with the same thing. I posted yesterday and no one responded. I am curious to see if you get any advice. My cockerel I think has a sprain or a strain in one leg and I've had him separated, but now he won't stand at all. Everything else is good--good color on the comb, good circulation in the leg, no swelling, not dislocated, he eats, crows and poops. I am at a loss as to what to do. Darwinchooks, please respond as I need help quickly.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'm certainly not a chicken doctor but it sounds like a sprain - I think you are doing the right thing by keeping him from the others and perhaps restricting his movement some. Have you also checked for bumblefoot? Wish I could offer more advice. Good luck to you.
  5. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    My hen (white leg horn) sprained her leg and stopped laying for about 10 days. She slowly got better on her own. I lowered their roosts to floor level, but otherwise I didn't do too much for her except keep an eye on her. She did a lot of sitting around, hanging out in the run, but she'd still come hopping (on one leg) whenever I was around. One of her toes seemed stiffer than the others, but I never found any other sign of injury. I'm sure you've sprained an ankle before, just think about all the hopping and running around they do! They're bound to twist a spindly leg once in a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by