Help!! My chicken has sour crop!

Lala425

Hatching
Apr 14, 2021
Hello everyone, I have a two year old chicken who is suffering from sour crop. I have been reading all of the suggestion and feel like I have tried everything. I'm not sure what to do next.

I noticed my hen had a weird crop spasm one night when I was putting them to bed, so I took her in and separated her from the flock. I did some research and decided to withhold food from her for 12 hours hoping the crop would empty out. After not eating for 12 hours I gave her garlic water for the next 12 hours. The next day I feed her olive oil which helped clear her out a bit since she wasn't really pooping. I started her on miconazole 3 day treatment. I divided one suppository into 6 pieces and have been feeding it to her every 12 hours ( we are on the 5th piece) along with scrambled egg white and plain yogurt. ( I've been giving her scrambled eggs in really small portions the size of a dollar bill coin about every 2 hours) And massage her crop constantly. I feel like I'm starving her tho she seems very thin, I'm afraid if I feed her more her the crop will not empty. Any suggestions??

Wait. Let's go over what you've done so far.

Have you treated with miconazole at least twice a day for seven full days? Seven days is how long it takes to kill the crop yeast.

Have you regularly checked the crop in the morning before food and water are provided?

Have you felt the crop carefully to determine if you are dealing with sour crop or impacted crop? They are completely different and treated differently.

What does her poop look like?

Is she laying? If so, when was her last egg? Was it normal?

What does she normally eat? Including treats and things she eats when out roaming.

Wait. Let's go over what you've done so far.

Have you treated with miconazole at least twice a day for seven full days? Seven days is how long it takes to kill the crop yeast.

Have you regularly checked the crop in the morning before food and water are provided?

Have you felt the crop carefully to determine if you are dealing with sour crop or impacted crop? They are completely different and treated differently.

What does her poop look like?

Is she laying? If so, when was her last egg? Was it normal?

What does she normally eat? Including treats and things she eats when out roaming.
I'm on day 3 of miconazole ( and will continue giving it to her)

She definitely has sour crop b/c it's soft and squishy not hard at all. Every morning I check her and its been full every day ( even when she didn't eat anything for 24 hours!)

I give her a massage every 2 hours or so.

I have been keeping track of her food intake and poops. Earlier in the week when I gave her olive oil she pooped out lots of liquid and little green poop balls, as I've started feeding her the medicine along with yogurt and scrambled eggs her poop has gradually become more solid with a few super black solid poops. ( she poops almost every 2 hours)

She is not laying at the moment.

We usually feed our chickens veggies and fruits and shredded meat. They eat better than I do 😆 On occasion they'll have some bread. They range free every day, so they usually eat grass and worms that they find in the dirt. This hen has been separated so she hasn't been roaming around.

I really hope to see some improvements soon 😞

Last edited:
You don't need to massage a sour crop. Massage is for impactions to break them up. Keep up with the moconazole two or three times a day for a full seven days. It will help to offer her yogurt or give acidophillus tablets to restore good bacteria in her gut. Be sure also to provide grit in her confinement. You should start to see improvement soon. In fact, by her poops, she already is improving.

You don't need to massage a sour crop. Massage is for impactions to break them up. Keep up with the moconazole two or three times a day for a full seven days. It will help to offer her yogurt or give acidophillus tablets to restore good bacteria in her gut. Be sure also to provide grit in her confinement. You should start to see improvement soon. In fact, by her poops, she already is improving.
I have been feeding my hen eggs and yogurt along with the miconazole, when would you recommend I reintroduce veggies and fruits back? After the treatment or now?

Thank you so much for your help!

Start out now with dry feed, continue yogurt and egg occasionally, green veggies, lettuce. Wait a week for any fruit since it has sugars.

Sorry to hear your bird isn't well.

Do you feed a layer feed to your birds? It's very important- it'll ensure they get a balanced diet. Also, be careful with garlic- it can cause anemia in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom