HELP! My chicken has suddenly become sick.

ILuvChooks

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2022
I'm not really sure what happened to her but she has been quite lethargic for the past weeks. First I suspected she was egg bound but she wasn't then today shed didn't eat anything and has been standing around all day, she even lost her sense of balance. Her poor are watery, and yellowish green in colour. Her feathers are also very rough and are falling off. Her wings are droopy and she's puffed up. Earlier on today she also pooped out a strange thing. It looked like a stone but I inspected it with a stick and it was like jelly. I'm not sure if it is some sort of infection or abnormal egg since it was only around 2 inches or so. I'm suspecting some sort of parasites internally but wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this and what to do.

Attachments

• IMG-20221229-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20221229-WA0009.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 13
What color was the thing she expelled? Could be salpingitis. If it is, she would need a strong antibiotic.

Has she molted yet this year? Do you know if she is eating? If she is weak, and it sounds like she is if she’s losing her balance, I would give her private feedings. If she won’t eat regular feed, try dampening it. If she won’t eat that, I would offer other nutritious options.

Do you know if her crop is functioning properly?

There are so many things that could be wrong, but in my opinion, getting her hydrated and nourished should be a top priority. Most chickens, ill or not, find raw egg irresistible. You could offer her some for a quick energy boost snd hydration at the same time.

I agree with above. It could also be Coccidiosis, in which case you should treat with Corid. Try getting some B12 into her to help her perk up

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs, or has it been some time? Has she molted recently? B Complex tablets for humans contain all B vitamins including B12. B 12 only has one of the B vitamins. Dosage is 1/4 tablet daily which can be crushed into a spoonful of water or food. It can help with leg problems, appetite, energy, etc.

Do you have a picture of the object that the hen passed? What was the color? In case it was a lash egg or egg matter, here is some info on salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct:)
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

What color was the thing she expelled? Could be salpingitis. If it is, she would need a strong antibiotic.

Has she molted yet this year? Do you know if she is eating? If she is weak, and it sounds like she is if she’s losing her balance, I would give her private feedings. If she won’t eat regular feed, try dampening it. If she won’t eat that, I would offer other nutritious options.

There are so many things that could be wrong, but in my opinion, getting her hydrated and nourished should be a top priority. Most chickens, ill or not, find raw egg irresistible. You could offer her some for a quick energy boost snd hydration at the same time.

Just read this :( She passed away this morning after becoming completely paralysed. Don't know what happened but she became extremely thin and slept all day. It looked like mareks although it could have been something else. At first she lost balance but yesterday her leg was completely stiff and was stretched all the way to the back of her body. I immediately separated her from the flock. Then the other leg was unable to move. I tried to keep her hydrated but she sadly didn't make it.

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs, or has it been some time? Has she molted recently? B Complex tablets for humans contain all B vitamins including B12. B 12 only has one of the B vitamins. Dosage is 1/4 tablet daily which can be crushed into a spoonful of water or food. It can help with leg problems, appetite, energy, etc.

Do you have a picture of the object that the hen passed? What was the color? In case it was a lash egg or egg matter, here is some info on salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct:)
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/
She passed away today after becoming paralysed although I will keep in mind the advice if anything similar happens. It looked like a lash egg but I'm extremely confused as to what caused her to die. She had multiple symptoms of different sicknesses, but she was getting old so maybe it was her time to pass.

I agree with above. It could also be Coccidiosis, in which case you should treat with Corid. Try getting some B12 into her to help her perk up
She didn't make it but I'm definitely going to try this in case it happens to any other flock members. At first I also highly suspected it to be coccidiosis but then her droppings became normal and she was paralysed, just hoping nothing is contagious to other chickens.

She didn't make it but I'm definitely going to try this in case it happens to any other flock members. At first I also highly suspected it to be coccidiosis but then her droppings became normal and she was paralysed, just hoping nothing is contagious to other chickens.
I’m sorry you lost her.

Just read this :( She passed away this morning after becoming completely paralysed. Don't know what happened but she became extremely thin and slept all day. It looked like mareks although it could have been something else. At first she lost balance but yesterday her leg was completely stiff and was stretched all the way to the back of her body. I immediately separated her from the flock. Then the other leg was unable to move. I tried to keep her hydrated but she sadly didn't make it.
I’m so sorry. That does sound like Marek’s.

Back
Top Bottom